New Year-Upgrade to A.G. Boilers and Tuns

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
http://bit.ly/1DaQHj3

Hi folks. Have brewed a lot of kits over 2013/14 and also tried BIAB and am thinking of taking the plunge to A.G 3 tier this year.

The link above is to the kind of boiler I'd like to buy. I was also planning on getting the coolbox mash tun with it. I have all other fermentation equipment so I feel the outlay cost would be justified if it meant that all I ever had to buy from here on out was grain and hops and yeast.

I just wondered if people on here had any experience with Brupaks boilers/tuns, before?

Oh, and happy new year! :party:

From my research the biggest criticism seems to be they're on the small side. If I waver from the GrainFather I'll probably go for the 50l stainless steel boiler with fittings from the same place (sorry, can't link as I can't access said site from work).

If you are spending that sort of money then I would seriously look at the 56 litre S/S ones from the same place (as DoctorMick said).
http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk...el-56-Ltr-Electric-Boiler-1.html#.VKbFk3xyaM8
I have one of these (albeit the slightly cheaper version which appears to be out of stock) and the extra capacity is a real bonus in preventing boil over.
I have been through several boilers including the electrim thermostat version. I found all tight for volume if you want a 25 litre brew. And you are paying for a thermostat that you don't really need on a boiler and they are prone to go wrong.
If you want to do it on the cheap then you can just fit a tap, hop filter and element into a 30litre F/V, I ran this set up for over a year until I upgraded.

Thanks you guys.

For volume I'm more interested in a 23 litre brew rather than going all out. I can only drink so much!

I also am a wimpy English teacher with next to no technological know-how (my Dad would be ashamed) so making one is out of the question (I also own no tools.)

I can feel my man-points evaporating fast...:?

Thanks chaps, I've still not poneyed up the money for this so am now looking at a DIY effort.

I have a Coopers Fermentor (very good quality plastic) that I think might be ideal for conversion into an element-fitted boiler. Has anyone tried this? My only concern would be frying myself!

Hi there. I'm in a similar position as regards upgrading to ag kit, and I'm equally hopeless at any electrical/DIY stuff. I've been looking at Burco boilers, and there are new 30 litre ones going for about £80 on eBay, would anyone recommend them as a good piece of kit for ag?

the budget bulkhead fitting is a 15mm compression tank connector drilled or filled out to remove the pipe stop, that allows you to push 15mm copper tube all the way through and use it inside and outside for connecting other plumbing.

the copper kettle online brewshop will sell a predrilled tank connector if you dont have the patience to file it out or have a 15mm hss drill bit..

when fitting a tap i dont think its a good idea to try and make a seal between the two walls, much better to make a bigger hole in the outside skin and make the seal against the thin wall of the inner bit alone. trying to use a locknut to seal the 2 walls will collapse the void before making a seal and should you get a seal how confident can you be its on the inside alone and not letting the void fill with your valuable liquor..

thats the animal. but as is its got a pipestop which stops you threading tube through it poking out inside and out for manifold/filter on the inside and a tap on the outside. with a 15mm hss drill bit its a 20 second job, with a metal file will take a bit longer..

Looking good. I built mine yesterday. Good fun it was too. Instead of drilling the holes in the copper, I just ran a hacksaw through it at regular intervals. My tank connector also had a pipe-stop; I had no 15mm drill bit so I reduce the end of the pipe with a little percussive maintenance.

Looking forward to using it.

the copper kettle online brewshop will sell you one like the screwfix fitting drilled thru for a £ more or so.. a 15mm hss drill bit via ebay is about a fiver, and with a drill takes seconds to drill through the cm so of slightly smaller bore stopping tube pushing all the way through,,
filling out wouldnt be much fun imho, but some have done it..

if making a 3 pot system with 3 x or more breaches needed, (i used similar for a copper thermowell in my placky hlt ) buying a 15mm hss drill bit may be worth it??

10271233254_450b366228.jpg

http://www.copperkettlehomebrewing.co.uk/home-brewing-products/492/tank-connector

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HSS-DRILL...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item43ca9c62ca

Frequented my LHBS yesterday and showed them my tun thus far. They suggested a piece of silicone tubing and one of their plastic taps. The tap comes with a back-nut and if I drill two different sizes of hole should fit fairly well.

Latest posts

Back