honey saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark1964

Landlord.
Reaction score
Ill be making this next Sunday just posting it in case anyone wants a bash at it

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 19.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.320
Total Hops (g): 69.16
Original Gravity (OG): 1.062 (°P): 15.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.40 %
Colour (SRM): 4.5 (EBC): 8.9
Bitterness (IBU): 30.4 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 90
Grain Bill
----------------
4.180 kg Pale Malt (78.57%)
0.608 kg Honey (11.43%)
0.228 kg Munich I (4.29%)
0.228 kg Rye Malt (4.29%)
0.076 kg Carapils (Dextrine) (1.43%)
Hop Bill
----------------
16.0 g Summit Leaf (17% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)
30.4 g Summit Leaf (17% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1.6 g/L)
22.8 g Mosaic Leaf (12.5% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (1.2 g/L)
Misc Bill
----------------
29.0 g Corriander Seed @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
29.0 g Dried Elderflowers @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
400.0 g gooseberries @ 0 Days (Secondary)

Although I don't do AG, I find this one very interesting. I've done 4 Saisons, using a Belle Saison yeast, which greedily eats the final SG down to 1.003 or something.

So #1 I am fascinated by the FG you finally get.

The hopping also is of interest, is it correct that you are adding 2/3 of your high alpha hops at flame out, or is this a typo?

May I also ask which yeast you will be using?
My understanding of this style is that the yeast is, shall we say, the star of the show. Not been sampling my Saisons yet, other than a single bottle of the first high strength brew. This indicates to me that the yeast does have a very significant impact on the final outcome.

# 3 - How do fruit additions generally go in Saison style beers. Ive added Blackberries to light beers and had good results (e.g. Coopers Blushing Blonde) and would be intersted in a similar approach in a Saison.

Hi yes the majority of the alpha go in to steep at 90 mins. Ill be using wyeast French saison which is a beast and will take the final gravity to 0 if I let it. The gooseberries are added to the secondary fv before transfer. If they are tinned they can be drained washed etc if fresh they will need a flash boil to sterilise. I wont be priming the bottles either as im sure the yeast will carry on munching any sugars in the bottle. The spices will go in at 90 mins also and steep for 20 mins or so. The large hop addition at 90 mins is purely for aroma and has no impact on the final ibu

Gooseberries? :shock: :nah: :mrgreen:

What gravity will you bottle at, and how can you be sure it won't be over-carbonated?

Gravity will be low around 10.06 I'm hoping I'm not priming the bottles because I know the yeast is pretty greedy and will continue to eat any sugars in the bottled

Good luck, it sounds like a great recipe. I love gooseberries, just never thought of putting them in a beer - but why not? Could be a stroke of genius.

Latest posts

Back