Just started my Evil Dog

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreweBrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm impressed with the kit - especially the bag that the LME comes in. Proper handy!

I followed the instructions to the letter and brewed to 23ltr. Got a (corrected) SG of 1.065 at 20C - going to be a potent one! The FV is sitting outside at the moment to fetch it down to within the temperature range before pitching the yeast.

We'll see how it goes.

Dave

There's two packets of hops that come with the kit. I'd like a good balance of flavour and aroma, so I was thinking of dry-hopping one packet after seven days. Then racking in my second FV to clear and adding the second packet.

I made this and added both bags to a cup of boiled water as per instructions and poured the liquid and bags in after 5 days. This beer turned out amazingly good. Mine is like rocket fuel!! Proper memory loss stuff. God knows how I won playing poker when I was knocking this back the other week. Tastes lovely though!! One of nicest beers I've drank I'd say.

There's two packets of hops that come with the kit. I'd like a good balance of flavour and aroma, so I was thinking of dry-hopping one packet after seven days. Then racking in my second FV to clear and adding the second packet.

I think this is a good idea.

Well, two days in and my airlock [now I've managed to keep the FV lid sealed] is going off it's rocker!

Looking forward to adding the first packet of hops in a few days. Simcoe first I reckon. Then chucking the summit when it's in the secondary FV.

Update: Dry hopped with Simcoe pellets this afternoon. Air lock had slowed to a crawl (four days in the FV), so tested the SG before adding the hops - 1.028 at around 18C. Gently submersed the pellets with a spoon before popping the lid back on and the air lock is going nuts again.

Lovely hoppy aroma each time the air lock belches!

im going to make a hop tea with pellets for my saison. Basically sterilise a large café tier then add my hop pellets add boiling water then stand till cool. Plunge down the handle and you get hop infused water which is added to a secondary fermenter before racking from the primary and no hop bits

Sounds good, Mark. Might have to pick a cafe tier up dedicated to such a task.

*forgot my three-point correction factor for my hydrometer. Corrected reading is 1.025. Air lock has now settled a bit. Hell of a krausen on it now though!

I usually dry hop 3 to 4 days before bottling. I think infusing the beer with the hop tea is cleaner and a more sterile approach to just throwing hops in the fv in a bag etc

I just put the bags in a cup and filled with boiled water. Left for 10 min then lobbed the lot in. This was my first brew. And it turned out really good. Tastes lovely. Just very strong though. Not a bad thing but gets you hammered.

Update (with a bit of concern): Had a couple of hours kip on the sofa before work this evening. The air lock was bubbling away nicely every couple of minutes. But when I woke up, the 2lb weight I put on the lid (to ensure the air lock bubbles before the seal on the lid gives way) had sunk and the water in the air lock had equalised. There's still a big krausen on the top but no activity in the air lock. I've checked the lid and there's no leaks. The room is quite warm though - log burning stove on fairly hot. I've moved it away to a cooler part of the room to see if that helps. Bit concerned that it may have stuck after five days in the FV.

Ta.

Dave

I had a leak in mine and didn't know. Thought it wasn't doing anything from day one as not once did it ever bubble. But just kept taking readings and could tell something was happening. So carried on and all worked out.

Morning Bungle! Just got back in from my night shift. Sterilised a few bits and took an SG reading straight away. She's coming in at 1.013, which works out at a little over 7% ABV. So it might not be far off done...

Back