started again

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidney

Reaction score
hi.

after having a go years ago with a beer kit (the one with the condensed wort in a big baked bean can) i diddnt enjoy it enough to keep going, after trying some of a distant friend of mine it was brilliant and got me into having a go again.

little did i know back then that everything from the water to temp control could have an effect on the final product so this time i thought that i would do it better by actually reading up first, so firstly hello all and nice to meet you, and second i may be quiet for a while as there is a wealth of information and experience on here that i will try to absorb before getting going again.

:thumb:

sid

Hi Syd and welcome :hat: jump in the deep end as there are loads here that will help you to swim !

Which route will you be taking, kits, extract or AG ?

Regards

Thank you for the welcome, a am going to try all grain I think as even though I'm learning as i go at least I can control what's going in, I have ordered a kit with a electric boiler and cool box, I still have my fermenting bucket from my attempt years ago so less to buy.

One thing I haven't thought of until typing this, what do people do with the grain after mashing? Can it be used on the compost heap or is the bin the only option.

Hi Sid, I compost some of mine but its not possible to compost all of it as my residue is around 18 kilo, also its ok if you have the plastic enclosed type of composter but if it was an open heap type I would worry about vermin. It makes a good cattle feed but not enough for the local farmer to be interested in. Dried and made as dog biscuits/bird feed ? Dunno, others may have some suggestions that I would be interested in too.

Regards

Back