Hello (also, this place is the best)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEIPA Nipper

Reaction score
Morning morning, I thought I'd introduce myself. I've been homebrewing for about eight years now, starting off with one of those Brooklyn Brew Shop Punk kits and along the way bought a Brewzilla 3.1 because I was sick of micromanaging the temperature on a gas hob hah.

01.jpg

Then six months ago I got my first corny keg to troubleshoot some oxidation issues, which has been going well. It's also nice not having to store and wash hundreds of flip top bottles! I'm already up to three kegs now and I've told myself four is the absolute limit but we all know how these things go...

I thought I'd sign up after many, many years of lurking and absorbing all the advice the forum had to offer. It's nice to have people talk in celsius, centimeters (tubing aside) and liters! This place is an incredible trove of information.

Anyway, I've got a Cascade SMaSH bubbling away in this keg right now in the continued pursuit of trying to brew with all the hops that take my fancy in a single hop brew.

03.jpg

And with summer on the way I need to research fridges for the kegs, so I'm off to dig through old posts.

Thank you, Baron.

Welcome. I just made a very similar NEIPA with the addition of Simcoe hops as well. Great beer.
Haven't tried any Simcoe yet but hoping I'm not one of the people that gets cat's **** out of it because it sounds great otherwise.

Welcome. Have you tried CML's Tropical England mix? It's ideal for a pea-souper and all English hops!
I've seen that and it's definitely on my list to try. Typically English / European hops are lower in thiols, right? How did it compare to the fruitier American / down under hops?

Thank you, Baron.

Haven't tried any Simcoe yet but hoping I'm not one of the people that gets cat's **** out of it because it sounds great otherwise.

I've seen that and it's definitely on my list to try. Typically English / European hops are lower in thiols, right? How did it compare to the fruitier American / down under hops?
Not sure how the sulphur fraction compares with New World hops and I don't know whether their recommended yeast, CML Atlantic, is hop biotransformative, but their recommended method of chucking in the dry hop charge as soon as fermentation had taken hold (24 hours) is certainly going to make the most of them. I'd say the beer compares very favourably with US and Au/NZ hops, but their recipe is a hazy IPA (I let mine drop clear before drinking) rather than a pea-souper, but you could easily adjust the grain bill to remedy that.

Not sure how the sulphur fraction compares with New World hops and I don't know whether their recommended yeast, CML Atlantic, is hop biotransformative, but their recommended method of chucking in the dry hop charge as soon as fermentation had taken hold (24 hours) is certainly going to make the most of them. I'd say the beer compares very favourably with US and Au/NZ hops, but their recipe is a hazy IPA (I let mine drop clear before drinking) rather than a pea-souper, but you could easily adjust the grain bill to remedy that.
I only recently started using CML for hops and I've not considered their yeasts because there's seemingly so little chatter about it. I like to brew expensive, hoppy stuff, so the prospect of cheaping out on a potentially lacklustre yeast is never appealing. They liken their 'Clipper' offering to LAIII, so I'll give that a go in a less expensive brew soon.

I only recently started using CML for hops and I've not considered their yeasts because there's seemingly so little chatter about it. I like to brew expensive, hoppy stuff, so the prospect of cheaping out on a potentially lacklustre yeast is never appealing. They liken their 'Clipper' offering to LAIII, so I'll give that a go in a less expensive brew soon.
Welcome. CML repackage branded yeast bought in bulk, so you wouldn't be cheaping out, they just offer good value for money. There's a comparison on a recent thread.

Welcome. CML repackage branded yeast bought in bulk, so you wouldn't be cheaping out, they just offer good value for money. There's a comparison on a recent thread.
Cheers for the heads up about that thread, a good read. Absolutely giving their yeast a go for the next brew then.
100% What he said^^
I have been using the stuff for ages. No complaints. Great chaps to deal with. Bingo.
Agreed, their emails are always very friendly and totally not corporate.

Latest posts

Back