Simple no clump DME yeast starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewpirate

Regular.
Reaction score
I had to make a starter last night and thought I would share my process. I always have a big bag of DME on hand for starters but always struggled to break down the clumps until I stumbled upon this one day when I needed to add some extra DME.

1. Fill your clean/sanitized elmer flask with warm water to the desired volume.
    I normally do 1000 -1500 ml
  2. Add your measured DME into a mason jar along with any nutrients.
    I add a little nutrient and DAP (diammonium phosphate)
    lWEJgbW.jpg

3. Fill the jar with warm water from the flask
    V5O8BX8.jpg

4. Shake to mix DME and water (30 seconds or so) checking to see if any clumps fall to the bottom
    Its ok to shake more then 3 times, nobody will judge.
    R8KrL2D.jpg

5. Add 1-2 drops of Fermcap-S and carefully pour into the flask.
    You can use a funnel if you do not have a steady hand or don't want to upset the wife.
    bSOfsR6.jpg

6. Boil for 15 minutes in the flask directly on the stove, chill and pitch yeast.
    This is why you add Fermcap-S, this is a very vigorous boil with no hint of a boil over. One of the best $5 I have spent and that little 1oz bottle will last forever.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPYGGGvEGS8[/ame]

If you followed these steps clean up is quick a jar, lid and a funnel if you used one. :clap:

Cheers!

That's really useful, I've been thinking about using liquid yeasts with a starter but hadn't seen such a simple explanation before.

One thing I haven't found an answer for which you may be able to help with...do you have to be precise about the temperature of the starter, like you do with fermentation, or does it just need to be somewhere warm and dark?

Not really the purpose is growth, once its finished you crash in the fridge and pour off the spend wort leaving the yeast behind. Any off flavors will be diluted to non exsistance but keepimg them at a temp to keep them active is critical.

I have an idea to help eliminate cleanup but will document with my next beer. Its easy to make starters and should be done anytime you are using liquid yeast. The night before I like to add 500ml of fresh starter wort so its fully active when I pitch.

Latest posts

Back