first time use of yeast slants,

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am brewing a London bitter this weekend and will be using, Thames valley 1 yeast, i will also be brewing in the next few weeks ,a Brown porter and a milk stout also using this yeast so i need to allow for this when building up this yeast.
The instructions for these slants is to add three table spoons of DME to 300ml of boiling water, when cooled ,add some wort to the slant, shake and tip into the starter, wait 24 to 48 hours and pitch into max 23l of wort. But everything i have really read about yeast starters is that this is very marginal, so i am doing it a bit different and just thought i would run this past you good people and see if i am on the right tracks .
So i have got my 300ml starter on the go (last night) tomorrow eve i am going to add a 1200ml to this to give me a 1500ml starter, decant 500ml for the next brew on Friday eve, and pitch the rest on Saturday into a wort of roughly 1042 - does this sound about right ?

Sounds good. Like you I don’t think 300ml straight from the slant is enough for a healthy fermentation.

Personally I start with 100ml of wort, just to make sure the slant yeast quickly overwhelms that, and then step up from that.

The other thing you can do is take a small amount of yeast from the slant using a sterile inoculation loop, inoculate your first starter and then put the slant back in the fridge for future use.

All looks to be going well ,

Attachments

• IMG_1931.JPG
    IMG_1931.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back