Corks

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
I thought it would be cool to use glass bottles and corks for some of my wine.. but the last few I have opened of wine that's only 5-6 weeks old, the cork has disintegrated when trying to open it.

I guess I've done something wrong when preparing the corks (putting in boiling water (off the heat) for 15 mins ??

Anyone had similar problems ?

Did you lay the bottles on their sides and turn them occasionally to keep the cork moist?

they were certainly on their side and the corks that fell to bits weren't totally dried out either

I thought it would be cool to use glass bottles and corks for some of my wine.. but the last few I have opened of wine that's only 5-6 weeks old, the cork has disintegrated when trying to open it.

I guess I've done something wrong when preparing the corks (putting in boiling water (off the heat) for 15 mins ??

Anyone had similar problems ?

They weren't from Wilkinson's were they? I had exactly the same problem when I first started. Terrible quality. Since then I've bought these:

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/50_Wine_bottle_corks_1st_quality.html#a101747

..and I've never had a problem since :)

hmm on reflection I had enough plastics for bottling up my wow tonight so am going to give glass a miss I think, no downside to using a plastic bottle but a few possible cons with corks etc...

Latest posts

Back