First brew.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budgie

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have just brewed my first batch, a coopers lager.

After about 2 hours I noticed lots of white lumps in the fv. (See attached picture). I'm not sure if I've done something wrong - everything was sanitised and I followed the instructions - or maybe it's undissolved brew enhancer?

So, I'm looking for a bit of reassurance really. I'm hoping someone will tell me that what I'm seeing is normal and that I'm worrying over nothing :)

Thanks in advance.

image.jpg

I am only part way through my first brew/fermentation, (and my dad used to brew) but that just looks like yeast (working). I would let is set for a few days and see if you start to get any action.

That's great, guys. Thanks for the reassurance. Most of it seems to have settled on the bottom of the FV a now so I'm no longer panicking.

Thanks again

Budgie, that's looking good. I brewed the same Coopers Lager as my first brew and bottled it on 25/01/15. It's really coming along nicely and I'm thinking that from 20/03/15 it will be really ready to go, don't get me wrong I've had a few bottles and it's lovely but I'm trying to wait it out.. I did a Coopers English bitter following that and it seems to be drinkable a lot quicker than the lager but that's just my fairly inexperienced opinion.

I did a Coopers English bitter following that and it seems to be drinkable a lot quicker than the lager but that's just my fairly inexperienced opinion.

You're drinking it, yours is the only opinion that matters. ;-)

Budgie, that's looking good. I brewed the same Coopers Lager as my first brew and bottled it on 25/01/15. It's really coming along nicely and I'm thinking that from 20/03/15 it will be really ready to go, don't get me wrong I've had a few bottles and it's lovely but I'm trying to wait it out.. I did a Coopers English bitter following that and it seems to be drinkable a lot quicker than the lager but that's just my fairly inexperienced opinion.

I bottled this on Sunday and really looking forward to sampling my first brew after conditioning. How quickly does the lager take to carbonate? I ask as I'm desperate to have a cheeky sample as soon as possible!

Great, it is actually looking more like I expected it to today!

I bottled this on Sunday and really looking forward to sampling my first brew after conditioning. How quickly does the lager take to carbonate? I ask as I'm desperate to have a cheeky sample as soon as possible!

According to the coopers instructions, 2 weeks, but it seems like a couple of months is better. I'm not sure I could hold out for that long! Maybe someone more knowledgeable than myself has a more definitive answer.

Great, it is actually looking more like I expected it to today!

According to the coopers instructions, 2 weeks, but it seems like a couple of months is better. I'm not sure I could hold out for that long! Maybe someone more knowledgeable than myself has a more definitive answer.

Yeah I plan to warm condition for two weeks, then cold condition for a week, followed by a week in the fridge before its on the menu. But just wanted to know how quickly carbonation takes place to "enjoy" a sample.

Well the day of truth has arrived it's been 10 days since I started my first brew, I just checked the levels and they are 1010, I'm going to let it sit for another day then transfer to another vessel containing dissolved sugar, how long shall I leave it in this one until I bottle it

I did my first brew, the coopers lager just before xmas and warm conditioned for 2 weeks then i went straight to the fridge where they have been since, 20 bottles have survived being drank lol as i want to see how much they improve with age and i have to say im amazed with the results. Turned out fantastic. Im now a week into warm conditioning my 2nd brew, a coopers stout. Going to stick a bottle in the fridge for a couple of days now and have a sample of that :drink:

As for when to sample, I did this quite early on a few times. Couldnt help myself, especially as im new to this.
here is a sample of mine after 2 weeks in bottles
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF8JOYzsq6s[/ame]

and after 2 months
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qot5y7CwOs[/ame]

That looks like a nice pint to me, Jake! I think I'll try a couple of mine after 2 weeks or so, then see how they improve over time. Although, if it turns out decent they might not last very long. I can always brew another batch, right...

Latest posts

Back