Does anyone have a Golden ale recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It helps to have some clues as to what you are aiming for, golden ales can vary quite a bit, especially the hopping. Name a commercial beer or two you like that would point us in the right direction, or describe what you are after in terms of hoppiness.

hi there, i would be doing a 10 litre batch- I'm partial to a 'old golden hen'

Here's a stab at Old Golden Hen

Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.042
Bitterness (IBU): 32.8

1.826 kg Pale Malt (100%)

10.0 g Challenger Leaf (9.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
8.0 g Galaxy Leaf (13.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)
10.0 g Galaxy Leaf (13.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
5.0 g Galaxy Leaf (13.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)

Single step Infusion at 66°C

I love golden hen, the galaxy hop really makes it a cracking beer.

That reminds me, must get some galaxy in!

Ive got some pale malt and the hops, i have also got some crystal and amber malts, would i add any of these?

Old Golden Hen just uses pale malt I believe. You could add a small amount of crystal if you're not fussed about copying OGH.

leave out the crystal malt if you want it close to OGH

I would be tempted to dry hop with any leftover galaxy as well

ok great sounds good, Im left with 1kg Amber malt and 1kg crystal malt, any ideas what i should use these in

Is the amber malt more for adding colour then? Sorry for the questions am new to using grain so trying to get my head around it.
Also ive got some pale malt and goldings hops do these work together?

Amber and crystal do provide colour, but their main purpose is to add flavours and body. You only use small percentages of these malts, typically 5-10%

The bulk of the grain we use is base malt - like your pale malt. You can make a very light beer with 100% pale malt, or you can add small amounts of darker grains like amber, crystal, brown malt, chocolate, roast barley, black malt etc to add flavour, body and colour.

There is pale malt of some form in every beer that uses Goldings hops.

i just moved my pale ale into demijohns as main fermentation had finished, and had a quick swig as you do, and it had a slightly weird taste to it, i cant really put my finger on it as to what it tastes like either. Having never made beer this way before I'm not sure if it is something that will fade away after it is left, or have i done something wrong?

its hard to say really, its not a really unpleasant taste, maybe if i let it finish doing its thing completely then try it again, i don't think i did anything wrong in the process? Only thing I've read maybe is that i should use bottled water rather than the tap?

My tap water is fine. Just carry on as normal, it's still in the FV stage, too early to tell.

Back