brew no. 5 - Noah knows

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brew 5: Noah Knows

14/03/2015

4 litres of Tesco chase spring.
500g wheat crystal malt steeped for 30 mins at 65 deg c. in 3 litres .
Used 1 litre of boiled water to keep temp at 65 deg c +
then added
1 kg spraymalt wheat
2 kg light dme

15 g amarillo & galaxy 15 mins boil (in muslin bag)
45 g amarillo & galaxy (in muslin bag) at flameout then stir for 10 minutes 5 minute hop rest

After boil, stir and hop rest poured wort,boiled and flameout hops into fv and
topped up to 21 litres.
yeast (safbrew wb-06) pitched at 28 deg c.
1.058 og calibrated to 20 deg c

remove hop bags in 5 days (19/3/2015)
wait 4 days then dry hop (23/3/2015)
40 g amarillo & galaxy for 5 days

28/03/2015

FG 1011 adjusted for temp
130g brewing sugar

6.17%

17.5 litres bottled

Gravity sample taste, bitter and fruity. Not too sweet.
looking forward to carbonation tester end of April.:cool:

Sounds awesome. Going to have a sampler of my galaxy single hop tonight. If it's good, I can't begin to imagine how much better it would be with amarillo...keep us posted!

What's with the Noah knows name?

Sounds awesome. Going to have a ambler of my galaxy single hop tonight. If it's good, I can't begin to imagine how much better it would be with amarillo...keep us posted!

What's with the Noah knows name?

Let us know how your galaxy brew turns out. I've not yet used galaxy on its own but am pretty sure I know what it brings to the party.

My used hops have been making the kitchen a much more fragrant place to be. Smells like a tropical and citrus fruit explosion :razz:

Noah knows? - 2 hops, 2 malts , 2 hop additions. lots of two by two's. A bit like the animals going into the ark. Oh yes, and a fruity aroma of biblical proportions :-)

Superb. I can't even begin to think of names for mine (as updated sig bears witness to)

Just had a bottle of the Galaxy. Only three weeks in bottle but pretty good. Basically like drinking um bongo with a pleasant bitterness to it. Slightly more bitterness than I expected but good.

It disappeared pretty quickly, and I've just opened an old hoppy hen. Wanted to try it as the chinook hop sounded interesting, but tbh I prefer my own amarillo and the Galaxy. There's something a bit earthy about it that I'm not mad keen on. Best stick to the homebrew from now on...

Brew 5: Noah Knows

14/03/2015

4 litres of Tesco chase spring.
500g wheat crystal malt steeped for 30 mins at 65 deg c. in 3 litres .
Used 1 litre of boiled water to keep temp at 65 deg c +
then added
1 kg spraymalt wheat
2 kg light dme

15 g amarillo & galaxy 15 mins boil (in muslin bag)
45 g amarillo & galaxy (in muslin bag) at flameout then stir for 10 minutes 5 minute hop rest

After boil, stir and hop rest poured wort,boiled and flameout hops into fv and
topped up to 21 litres.
yeast (safbrew wb-06) pitched at 28 deg c.
1.058 og calibrated to 20 deg c

remove hop bags in 5 days (19/3/2015)
wait 4 days then dry hop (23/3/2015)
40 g amarillo & galaxy for 5 days

28/03/2015

FG 1011 adjusted for temp
130g brewing sugar

6.17%

17.5 litres bottled

Gravity sample taste, bitter and fruity. Not too sweet.
looking forward to carbonation tester end of April.:cool:
May God bless it :pray:

Superb. I can't even begin to think of names for mine (as updated sig bears witness to)

Just had a bottle of the Galaxy. Only three weeks in bottle but pretty good. Basically like drinking um bongo with a pleasant bitterness to it. Slightly more bitterness than I expected but good.

Yes the high AA in the galaxy surprised me with the bitterness level (in a nice way). I add them a bit later to the boil as I do 'hop a lot' during boil.

Next time I'll be putting them in for 10 mins before flameout. I do like a bitter beer, but I can't seem to get the same type of bitterness in my beer as brewdog or thornbridge do in their beers. Perhaps lower AA hops boiled for longer? I do love high IBU's though.

Re: noah knows, tried the tester. - flat (but it was an emergency decant to a bottle) so I tried a normal bottle, Whoa, half beer and half head, awesome. I've had to pour 'high' with my other beers to get a head, no such problem with this one. will remember for the rest plus I can chill a bit more. I do like to drink my beers on the cooler side.

Amarillo and galaxy do work well together, I'll have to try them together again, tropical fruit & orange, LUSH.

The colour is a rich semi-opaque orange.

I might even do this recipe again! although I made a mistake and swirled the sediment into the second half of the pour. As it had wheat I thought why not, but it becomes harshly bitter as it is already well hopped, unlike wheat beers, so in that respect it's more ale than wheat beer, but a very nice hybrid in between styles. Will try a bit more wheat next time, but it could be my goto homebrew! ;-) -Will report back on it at end on month.:drink:

Sounds like you're into the same flavours as me, I love tropical fruit flavours, but looking at your sig you like your ales WAY stronger than I do (4-5% abv plenty for me). I guess balancing bitterness/strength/overall flavour profile is one of those things that comes with experience?

Sounds like you're into the same flavours as me, I love tropical fruit flavours, but looking at your sig you like your ales WAY stronger than I do (4-5% abv plenty for me). I guess balancing bitterness/strength/overall flavour profile is one of those things that comes with experience?

Agreed, think I have 2 out of 3 :thumb:

Latest posts

Back