Got the opportunity to talk with Bard Google AI and posed a brewing question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireworkmaster

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question.
Hello bard, I need help with a brew in a bag 10 litre beer recipe similar to Harvey's of Lewes best bitter

Bards answer.
Sure. Here is a recipe for a 10-liter brew-in-a-bag beer similar to Harvey's of Lewes best bitter:

Ingredients:

* 2 kg Maris Otter malt
* 200 g Crystal malt
* 100 g Fuggles hops
* 50 g East Kent Goldings hops
* 10 g Nottingham yeast

Instructions:

1. Steep the Maris Otter malt in 5 liters of water at 65 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes.
2. Remove the malt from the water and rinse it with 2 liters of water.
3. Bring the water to a boil.
4. Add the Crystal malt to the boiling water and boil for 5 minutes.
5. Add the Fuggles hops to the boiling water and boil for 60 minutes.
6. Add the East Kent Goldings hops to the boiling water and boil for 15 minutes.
7. Remove the hops from the water and let it cool to 20 degrees Celsius.
8. Pitch the yeast into the cooled water and stir to aerate.
9. Put the bag of malt in the water and seal the bag.
10. Leave the bag in the water for 60 minutes.
11. Remove the bag from the water and rinse it with 2 liters of water.
12. Boil the water for 5 minutes.
13. Pour the boiled water into a fermenter and add the malt bag.
14. Top up with cold water to 10 liters.
15. Ferment for 2 weeks at 20 degrees Celsius.
16. Bottle the beer and condition for 2 weeks at 20 degrees Celsius.
17. Enjoy!

This recipe should produce a beer that is similar to Harvey's of Lewes best bitter in terms of flavor and alcohol content. The Maris Otter malt will give the beer a biscuity flavor, while the Crystal malt will add a touch of sweetness. The Fuggles hops will add a citrusy flavor, while the East Kent Goldings hops will add a floral flavor. The Nottingham yeast will ferment the beer quickly and efficiently.

It's still learning ;) spent a good 20 mins throwing random brewing / winemaking / gardening questions at it then digging down on different points in each answer.

Oh theirs many scary mistakes from the AI ,
...and now Bing is quoting this page as its answer to the question!!!
That's scary , I know the AI is in beta but what freaked me out was the way it talked was as we would if that makes sense , also it seems to think it's answers are exact and that I can forsee being a real issue in the future.

Out of curiosity I asked the same question to chatGPT
here's the response.

Hello chatgpt I need help with a brew in a bag 10 litre beer recipe similar to Harvey's of Lewes best bitter

Certainly! Here's a recipe for a 10-liter batch of Harvey's of Lewes Best Bitter that you can try using the Brew in a Bag (BIAB) method:

Ingredients:

2.5 kg Maris Otter malt
150 g crystal malt (60L)
30 g chocolate malt
30 g roasted barley
20 g Fuggles hops (4.5% AA) - for bittering
20 g East Kent Goldings hops (5% AA) - for flavor
20 g East Kent Goldings hops (5% AA) - for aroma
1 package of English Ale yeast (such as Wyeast 1968 or White Labs WLP002)
Instructions:

Start by heating 14 liters of water to 67°C in a large pot.
Place the grains in a mesh bag and add it to the pot. Stir well to make sure all the grains are submerged.
Let the grains steep in the water for 60 minutes, maintaining the temperature at 65-67°C.
After 60 minutes, lift the bag out of the pot and let it drain. Do not squeeze the bag, as this can extract harsh tannins from the grains.
Bring the wort to a boil, and add the Fuggles hops. Boil for 60 minutes.
Add the East Kent Goldings hops for the last 10 minutes of the boil.
After the boil, cool the wort to 18-20°C and transfer it to a sanitized fermenter.
Pitch the yeast and ferment for 5-7 days at 18-20°C.
After fermentation is complete, transfer the beer to a bottling bucket or keg, and carbonate to 1.5-2.0 volumes of CO2.
This recipe should produce a beer with an OG of around 1.046 and an FG of around 1.010, resulting in an ABV of approximately 4.6%. Adjust the hop schedule and amounts to your liking if you prefer a more bitter or hoppy beer.

...and now Bing is quoting this page as its answer to the question!!!
I had a similar circular reference experience years ago.

We had an email storm which pretty much wasted the majority of a day as people laughed and joked about the thousands of email replies. Someone updated Wikipedia, and then one of our group added some back of the envelope maths as to how much network traffic and time got wasted (without source). Then The Register picked up on it and used the Wikipedia page as it's source for how much time, network bandwidth and money it wasted. Then we realised we could quote the register as the "source" of the information 😂. Entirely circular!

Back