Filtering Problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rikki

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have bought a wine filter kit to put a bit of a polish to my finished country wines, but the problem is it takes ages for the wine to pass through the filter and the pads seem to clog up very quickly, the wine had two rackings and was fairly clear before filtering. Is there anything I can do to speed things up or can anyone suggest a different filter system.

Many Thanks

Hi All,

the wine had two rackings and was fairly clear before filtering. Is there anything I can do to speed things up or can anyone suggest a different filter system.

Hi Rikki,

I use my filter for 5 gallon brews only, you have to make sure your wine is clear, not fairly clear, even at clear you will be surprised at what the filter takes out of it.

Bill

Great tip about Wilco price for filter pads. I don't use them often due to the high cost and then only for white wine with stubborn hazes which fining has failed to clear. In fact I no longer even use finings for red wines because it strips out tannin and red wine clears quite rapidly on it's own anyway.

Latest posts

Back