First time using finings (Wow)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't 'do' finings. Just waiting and letting things take their normal course is the way to go. right?

Well... I religiously chuck 1/3 tsp Irish moss in towards the end of the boil; and I usually add 15ml 5ml (oops) of NBS Clarity when I pitch - but everyone does that.
Anyway my beer is nice and clear so what's the problem.

But. I brewed wine for the first time this year, and added the mystic powders at the indicated time. WOW. Suddenly what looked like fairly clear wine became absolutely crystal clear.

Hmmm. Perhaps I'd better give this stuff a go in the beer.
So on a flying visit to @thehomebrewshop in Farnborough a few weeks ago this stuff ended up in my basket: Clear IT Wine & Beer Finings Sufficient for 30-60 Gallons

Screenshot 2022-10-29 at 16.45.59.png

These are two-part finings: you get two potion bottles, and instructions to add equal quantities an hour apart, stirring well (further research indicates the bottles contain gelatin & kiesolsol).

I was kegging a batch of London Bitter yesterday. After two weeks in the FV it looked pretty clear, but not quite as polished as a pub pint - so I thought 'why not'.
I racked the beer off into a clean bucket and then added 5ml of each liquid, stirring well and waiting an hour in between. Then I left it in the garage overnight.

This morning I carefully transferred to a Corny, a bit uncertain as to what if anything I would find in the bottom of the bucket.

The answer was... quite a lot, as you can see in the photo below. I'd got the bucket chocked up at the back by this time, so the pale area you can see up in the top left is the bottom of the bucket; and that scummy brown bow-wave in front of it is.... all the crud that's precipitated out of the beer.

Blimey.

And the beer itself? It looks clear... really clear. Like limpid spring water (well, ok, but you know what I mean).

I can see I'll be using more of this stuff in future.

Screenshot 2022-10-29 at 17.07.03.png

Last edited:
Surprised by this - I've just started using it and according to the Malt Miller you only need 0.5ml for a 20L batch.

It's not particularly cheap for a 15ml bottle (£9.95) so hoping you don't really need that much!
Oops my mistake: yes 0.5ml LoL

One benefit of it is that it makes the beer 'gluten free' within the standard definition of the term - and my friend who is seriously gluten intolerant has now found that he can drink my beer without any ill effects

I'm using it to see if it improves clarity at all but the gluten free aspect is a nice bonus.
Another thing I've noticed makes a big difference is doing a rapid chill (with a counterflow chiller): the amount of 'cold break' that comes out of the beer is quite impressive.

1667062224160.png

To be fair, this was just the bit at the bottom after I'd finished whirlpooling - but... cauliflower or what?

Another thing I've noticed makes a big difference is doing a rapid chill (with a counterflow chiller): the amount of 'cold break' that comes out of the beer is quite impressive.
Definitely agree with that - I use a Grainfather and there's a huge amount of cold break when you run through the counterflow chiller.

The other thing I've observed is allowing approx. 5 minutes of boiling before adding the first hop addition really helps with ensuring the hot break fully forms and drops back into the wort.

Definitely agree with that - I use a Grainfather and there's a huge amount of cold break when you run through the counterflow chiller.

The other thing I've observed is allowing approx. 5 minutes of boiling before adding the first hop addition really helps with ensuring the hot break fully forms and drops back into the wort.
Yes it needs to come to a good boil before it forms. But I must admit I'm a 'skimmer' ;-)

Last edited:
@The-Engineer-That-Brews I use this on some of my brews. One part finings, plus it's vegan.

I find two-part finings a pain when you're working with an oxygen-free environment. I know you don't use pressure though, but it saves you opening the bucket twice and having to stir it twice.

I have got some of your stuff in the cupboard for wine though. Pity it needs throwing away after a month. I haven't managed to use a full pack yet in time.

Last edited:
@The-Engineer-That-Brews I use this on some of my brews. One part finings, plus it's vegan.

I find two-part finings a pain when you're working with an oxygen-free environment. I know you don't use pressure though, but it saves you opening the bucket twice and having to stir it twice.

I have got some of your stuff in the cupboard for wine though. Pity it needs throwing away after a month. I haven't managed to use a full pack yet in time.
Thanks @Tess Tickle's Brewery :-)
I know you don't use pressure
True... and I don't do low oxygen either (within reason). Re the shelf life, so far as I can tell that's due to one of the 'parts' being gelatine - so all I do is mix up some fresh using powdered ;-)

I dont use any finngs at all other than Irish Moss in the boil and always get crystal clear beer. I'm not suggesting anyone shouldn't use them but am curious if anyone else does this. I've no idea why it should be. Could it be processes, temperatures at different stages or storage time and conditions?

I used to use just Protofloc in the boil and no further finings for years but recently I have started putting Gelatine in just before crashing to help hold the **** together at the bottom of the FV so transfer is clearer.
Ps before my beers always dropped clear just took slightly longer

I dont use any finngs at all other than Irish Moss in the boil and always get crystal clear beer. I'm not suggesting anyone shouldn't use them but am curious if anyone else does this. I've no idea why it should be. Could it be processes, temperatures at different stages or storage time and conditions?
I never used to either, but as @the baron says, it speeds things up (and also does give the beer that final ‘polish’)

Latest posts

Back