Stepping into AG...in a small way

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnal

Brewster
Reaction score
Decided to have a go at a 5l batch of all grain thanks to Clibit's excellent thread (HERE). So into a pan of water at 75c I stirred 1Kg of Maris Otter pale malt and ( just to be different), 50g of crystal malt. I used a cardboard box lined with an old duvet to hold the temp up and mashed for 1hr. It only lost 3C in this time so job done. After straining through a colander lined with a hop bag and soaking in another 4l of water,the liquor was boiled for an hour with 5(ish)g of Challenger hops at the start and 10g of EKG hops 5 mins from the end. I pitched the yeast (Muntons Gold Premium) at 24C and got a starting gravity of 1047. The hop bag turned out to be an inspired choice as it allowed me to squeeze more liquid out after straining. In the end I've got about 5.5l . There does appear to be a lot of sediment but I'm hoping to get a few bottles from it.

Overall I quite enjoyed it but next time I'll start a bit earlier in the day as the leg of lamb I was cooking for the evening meal didn't go in the oven until very late! :shock:

Thanks to Clibit for the inspiration and methodology. As an aside I assume that the hops left in the packet can be stored in the freezer?

I've been doing small batches and I usually split the yeast packet too, put it in the fridge, and use the other half of it for another batch a week later.

Yep. Other half of yeasy packet wrapped in cling film in the fridge. Heard mixed reviews of the Muntons Gold Premium but went with it as it's supposed to form a firm sediment so won't be easily disturbed when pouring from the bottle. Other half doesn't like the idea of bits in his beer. Whether this turns out to be true we'll have to wait and see but am looking forward to tasting the results. As a complete newb I found the decision of what yeast to use was quite difficult.

Yes, you can spend quite a bit of time agonising over the 'perfect' yeast for a brew and then you hear of people brewing cider with beer yeast :-o

It must be right, though, that different yeasts have different characteristics.

I've got a collection of yeasts in a tin in the fridge, not absolutely comprehensive but like to think I have something in there to have a go at most things.

4 days on and the SG is down to 1013 already ( the estimated finishing gravity). That gives an ABV of 4.5% which I'm more than happy with. A quick taste of the sample jar and it's really pleasant, if a little thin at the moment. I was surprised that there is no HB twangyness at all. Looking forward to trying this after bottling and conditioning.

Back