Newbie going attempt Canadian blonde advice please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pauldonnelly

Reaction score
Hi going to buy and brew coopers Canadian blonde at weekend any tips what to go with it , enhancer or any other ingredients advice would be appreciated cheers

I would replace as much sugar with enhancer or Malt extract as you are willing to pay for.. I also think the Coopers Canadian Blonde whilst not a bad kit, it could do with a bit of oomph (I sound like a judge on Master chef) check out the Canadian blonde thread many peopl have dry hopped this and had some great results

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=19465&page=14

If you look at the last few pages you will see a few people done various things with hops

Made the Canadian Blonde recently with 1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 plus 250g of brew sugar - Brewed to 23l total volume, got me to a Starting Gravity of 1048.

I would suggest adding some brew sugar if you use 1kg of Coopers brew enhancer as some of the BE is made up of non-fermentables so isn't 1kg of fermentables.

Mine has only been in the bottles for 3 weeks so bit soon to give a definitive review but it is developing nicely and very promising, and is very clear in the bottle. It will be more of a light ale than a true lager as, like most coopers white can kits, uses an ale yeast so can be brewed at 20°C by the home brewer.

If you want more of a 'clean' lager taste but without the faff of brewing in a fridge at 12°C with a true lager yeast then worth looking at the Coopers Selection Heritage Lager (in a black coloured tin) as that comes with a mix of lager and ale yeast so gives a cleaner lager taste but can be brewed out at 18°C. I don't have a brew fridge and the Heritage Lager is the most 'lager like' kit I have brewed.

Hope this helps and the best of luck with whatever you brew :wink:

Homebrew shop I've started going to only sells muntons enhancer , would you still put 250g of brewing sugar in with it, sorry if it's a stupid question but learning everyday, loving thisforum

Homebrew shop I've started going to only sells muntons enhancer , would you still put 250g of brewing sugar in with it, sorry if it's a stupid question but learning everyday, loving thisforum

Very sensible question, Paul.

When I first re-started homebrewing, I would have just added 500g of cane or beet sugar (they are chemically identical) to the Kit plus enhancer and brewed to 25L.

I got great results with this approach on Coopers "lagers" that are actually pale ales, as they are brewed using ale yeasts.

If you are used to drinking popular branded or supermaket lagers, I heartily recommend this approach as a first step. They taste better than you buy.

This gets you a light and easy drinking beer that will even improve out to 3 months or so.

I dated one 8 years ago would not stop talking didnt last long:hmm: shame though dead pretty

Thanks slid for advice do you put sugar in with enhancer ,was it a strong lager you turn out then or average

The Munton Beer Enhancer is a blend of spray dried dextrose and malt extract, doesn't contain any maltodextrin like the Coopers BE1.

The Muntons Beer Enhancer should therefore be pretty much all fermentables.

Don't overthink it, add the kit plus 1kg of of muntons beer enhancer and top up with water to 20-23l - aiming for a temp of approx 21°C. Measure the gravity with your hydrometer before pitching the yeast. If you are at 1046-1048 then go with it and pitch the yeast. If the gravity is lower you can add a little sugar before pitching the yeast (125g gives you an increase of approx. 2 points on the gravity).

You can't go much wrong if your starting gravity is 1.046-1.048 - will give you a final ABV of approx 4.5%

One more tip: Beer Enhancer/Spraymalt clumps real bad if dumped into cool/cold water and is a nightmare to de-lump/mix once clumped. So add the can contents, then straight away add the beer enhancer then add a kettle or 2 of boiling water so you are mixing everything in hot water before topping up with cold water.

You need to mix well so your initial starting gravity reading with the hydrometer is accurate - lots of unmixed fermentables sitting in the bottom of the FV means the sugar is there but your hydrometer reading will be innacurately low.

My standard recipe for the Coopers 1-can kits is the can, 1kg of Enhancer and then brew it to less volume than recommended, I usually do 20L or 21L, which brings them out around 4.5%.

Dry hopping will also help, Saaz or Hallertau for lagers. My Coopers European Lager with a Hallertau hop tea, and then dry hopped, is just incredible - one of the best beers I've ever done, and I've done a lot inc Extract and All Grain.

Latest posts

Back