Should you always add gas to your homebrew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sippy27

Reaction score
Currently brewing my first batch of beer (bitter specifically)

I was just wondering, should you always add gas/C02 or do some people not bother? What happens if you don't? What are the differences?

Everything is going perfect so far, it looks, smells and even tastes great! I'll be transferring the beer to a pressure barrel soon.

Prime the barrel with about 80g sugar, (ordinary will do, some prefer brewing sugar) and the yeast still in the beer will ferment the sugar to produce co2. That won't be able to escape and will carbonate your beer and create pressure in the barrel. That pressure might run out before you finish the barrel (almost certainly) and then you'll need to add gas via whatever sort of system your barrel has. So no, don't add gas to start with!

If you don't add any gas ever when the pressure runs out you will not be able to get the beer out unless you undo the lid and if you do that you really need to drink it all in the next 24-48 hours (less if you want it quite fizzy) while if you add CO2 to keep it flowing it should last as long as it would before your 1st pint was poured and keep its fiz.

Latest posts

Back