That homebrew whiff from a kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunno for sure, but prolly not (guessing)

What are you thinking?I thinking o a comparison experiment.. do the Coppers stout as described above and also do a simple extract pilsner under pressure 2.5kg Light Dme, Novalager and some saaz 20 min 15 min and 0 min . to see if the twang is still present in that.
Im thinking do the coopers kit as described above.
and
do a comparison brew under pressure. xtra Light Dme, Saaz, novalager and a pilsner profile liquor.
see if the twang is still present, and to what degree in either

i did a quick search on Sulphites and it suddenly struck me that we also add sulphites to our beer in a half campden tablet. could the combination of Preservatives + campden be the root cause.

i desscribe the twang as brown bread soaking in a stale driptray but there is a tiny tiny hint of sulfur in the mix.

When I did kits I found that after I started using temperature controlled brewfridge
the results were infinitely better with little or no twang.
For me it's the added sugar that is responsible for the 'homebrew' taste of kits, naturally extracted sugars from grains just have a superior taste profile.
Partial mash is a big step step up from kits, a little more effort but produces far superior beer.

If you don't need to, why ad a campden tablet. I and many others never have.
Our water supply is low on almost everything apart from Choline and Chloramine.
I got the lowdown from a treatment plant worker that its loaded with them to combat the huge amount of peat in the catchment area.
Without charcoal filtering tea is undrinkable. and even with filtering there is a slight hint of bleachyness.
Therefore half a campden (0.2G) is needed to try and clean that chlorine trace and any chloramine in the water. .

When I did kits I found that after I started using temperature controlled brewfridge
the results were infinitely better with little or no twang.
For me it's the added sugar that is responsible for the 'homebrew' taste of kits, naturally extracted sugars from grains just have a superior taste profile.
Partial mash is a big step step up from kits, a little more effort but produces far superior beer.
Im heading back toward AG and accumulating kit under the radar. so Im doing kits in the interim.
im kinda doing it backward brewfridge, kegerator, sundries first . The shiny will follow later.

This twang intrigues me as no one can say for certain what causes it, sugar, water, yeast not finishing, yeast being stressed. preservaitives in the concentrate, concentrate past its best.. and more are blamed for it.
but your right I never had it with any AG brew if did in the past..

Im heading back toward AG and accumulating kit under the radar. so Im doing kits in the interim.
im kinda doing it backward brewfridge, kegerator, sundries first . The shiny will follow later.

This twang intrigues me as no one can say for certain what causes it, sugar, water, yeast not finishing, yeast being stressed. preservaitives in the concentrate, concentrate past its best.. and more are blamed for it.
but your right I never had it with any AG brew if did in the past..

That's what I did, though I haven't moved beyond an 8 gallon pan and a gas stove. It's simple but that's why I like it, I can concentrate on the brewing not the equipment.

I think the twang is just the difference between a freshly produced wort versus a processed extract, everything else you produce fresh from scratch always tastes better.

Here's a thought: is it the kits or is it the inexperience of the brewer? I've just done a kit after years of AG, utlising things I've learned along the way like temp control and quantity of yeast, the brew is bottled and I'll be sampling in a week or two Muntons Smugglers: kit vs AG

It's certainly not DME, I've made loads of full-extract brews with DME & hops instead of mashing and it wasn't present then. There are some who think it could be related to LME, but DME is fine.

I think the twang is just the difference between a freshly produced wort versus a processed extract, everything else you produce fresh from scratch always tastes better.
That would certainly explain the complete randomness. Perhaps kit just don't keep.

Having done some reading of the subject today, the only thing I have learned is that there didn't appear to be a definitive answer.

That's what I did, though I haven't moved beyond an 8 gallon pan and a gas stove. It's simple but that's why I like it, I can concentrate on the brewing not the equipment
Agreed.
Im going oldschool again. As pretty as these AIO systems are, im from the stand on top of it with a list of steps and times to follow through the brewday, kinda brewer..
IMHO it was part of the fun of it,, as was making my own kit.
this time Im heading toward a plastic HLT/Kettle from TMM and a Grain bag. But if theyt get the 35L SS kettles back in stock before I buy teh plastic one, Id have one with an element and a pump.
I have a plan for a home made triple imersion chiller using 10mm tube utilising a traffic cone as a former in order to stack 3 cone shaped chillerson top of each other.with spacers but thats for a different thread.

Back