wine making new at it

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddeighton_1

Reaction score
hi was thinking of using fruit juices can i add the pectolase, and the nutrients before the yeast or can you add them later

and whats the easiest way of using fresh fruit as i don't have the space for presses etc just wondered if you could just chop it up and add sugar water and strain it before adding yeast and things

hi was thinking of using fruit juices can i add the pectolase, and the nutrients before the yeast or can you add them later
You add them at the same time you pitch the yeast, you could add them later but ithere is no reason to do so.

If you are thinking of making wine from supermarket juice read this thread - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

I've ordered them so I'll add as instructed just have to wait but I have my stout to bottle and label just trying to find out how much sugar to batch prime for 20 litres as my bitter I did per bottle

ok another question this wow drink is it best served chilled or room temp

would you class it as a red wine or a white wine or is just a alcoholic beverage :-D

White or rose depends on the juice you use, you cannot make red wine from juice as it turns out rose, I prefer mine chilled but you may not.

If you want to make wine from fruit, you can boil etc to extract the juice, ferment in a bin then rack into demi-john for second fermentation. I have a single gear masticating juicer though, which although slower is much less hassle. (can also be used in lieu of a cider press) The juicer is also fantastic for extracting the juice from carrots & parsnips. I can extract the juice from a kilo of fruit in under 5 minutes.
I made hedgerow wines for many years, and always started with whole fruits. Elderberries,blackberries, blackcurrants, blueberries give a well rounded and robust red similar to merlot. Add oak chippings to the first fermentation to increase tannin level if desired.
Rose petals give a pleasant aroma to rosé or white wines such as rowan, rhubarb or parsnip.
One of my faves is to chuck bananas in the freezer when they start to go black, until you have a couple of kilos. Defrost and skin then just mash them in boiled water and put them in the primary fermenter for around a week before racking into secondary vessels(s). This produces a lovely yellow, clear, dessert wine with a faint taste of banana. Not at all overpowering. A kilo yields around a gallon of wine. After fermentation finished, I knocked a bung in the demi-john and left for around 6 weeks before bottling.
Unfortunately, when I stopped brewing previously, I didn't back up my recipes when I changed computer.

Latest posts

Back