Here goes!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tykesi

Reaction score
Just put a Wherry in the FV, it's my first kit after a couple of disastrous attempts at AG last year.

After reading info on the forum I decided to use a packet of Wilko Gervin (I didn't rehydrate) instead of the supplied yeast but pitched a bit warm at about 28° so hoping that won't cause me any trouble. I'm pretty patient so intending to have it in the FV for two weeks followed by a week in secondary before batch priming and bottling.

It's fermenting in the hall where it will sit between 18 & 21° depending on ambient temps.

Fingers crossed!

tykesi, welcome aboard, I bottled a Wherry on 11/4 using Wilkos Gervin yeast and it was just fine. I added a tin of Lyons Golden syrup and 15g of German Cascade hops OG:1054-FG:1009. I primed my 500ml bottles with 3/4 tsp of sugar but in future I'll use 1/2tsp as they were a touch over carbonated. The Wherry was so nice that it's long gone now but I've held four bottles to have at the four month mark and I get to try them on Friday week, can't wait.

Thanks for the welcome chaps. I've been lurking and reading for a while, some of the info has been really helpful and interesting!

My FV is bubbling nicely this morning so it's on it's way. I forgot to say I brewed slightly short to 21 litres to get it slightly stronger. I think after a few successful kits I'll look to adapt and personalise some myself. The ultimate aim being to get onto AG at some point.

If you have been lurking then you will know that clibit would tempt you to the dark side sooner or later.

I think for now he will be satisfied :cheers:

Ha ha, he's nothing to worry about with me! I'm going to get my cleaning and sanitising regime up to scratch with kits first then move on to AG. I think that was where I went wrong last year when I tried a couple of AG brews.

Wherry started at 1.040 and after seven days is at 1.012. Going to leave in the FV until Saturday then transfer to a secondary for a week as planned. had a taste out of the trial jar and tasted good so far so fingers crossed for a decent brew.

Well, it's finished!

Bottled my first Wherry on Saturday night, managed to get 32 bottles which are now sat in the garage (coldest place I've got, not having space in the fridge).

My new favourite bits of kit are my bottle rinser and little bottler which I didn't have when I brewed last year.

SG on this was 1044 with a final 0f 1012 so near enough 4.5% which I am happy with (wanted 4.2+). I made a mistake and used my bottling bucket as my first FV which meant after transferring to secondary I then had to transfer AGAIN to bottle. Next time I will prime and bottle from the secondary as there was very little sediment from my inital syphon.

Had a bottle which wouldn't cap so it was only right it didn't go to waste :wink:

Tasted good straight off so hoping for a nice beer by the time I go on holiday in a month!

Wilko Hoppy Copper going in the FV this week, I'll be taking some tips from the forum to improve as the general consensus seems to be it's a bit mediocre as standard.

I've just realised I have primed with brewing sugar and I'm sure I read somewhere that's not a good thing.

If not is there any way I can rescue these 32 bottles?

Dunno about brewing sugar for priming but you need to move the bottles somewhere warm so they can carb up else they'll take an age to do so. After a couple of weeks carbing up you can move them back to the garage.

Thanks guys.

For some reason I thought it was somewhere cold first then warm. I'll move them back indoors (22-24 degrees at the moment) for a couple of weeks then back out.

Dextrose (corn sugar / brewing sugar) is fine for priming nothing wrong with it, the only thing compared to sucrose (cane sugar / table) is I think you may need about another 5-10% or so which in the grand scheme of things is nothing.

I used to prime with dextrose all the time. I switched to table sugar for priming when I felt it made no difference and tbh I don't think it does.

Latest posts

Back