Should something be happening by now?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CabSav

Wine Brewer
Reaction score
Hi all. I started my first ever wine brews yesterday. A Beaverdale Merlot kit and Ohbears spiced apple wine WOW. It has been 22 hours since I pitched the yeast and there has been no activity in either one as yet. I know it can take up to 36 hours for fermentation to start from what I have read but as I am new to this, I am just after a little reassurance I have done everything correctly.

Beaverdale Kit:

Followed instructions precisely. Sterilised all kit, added grape juice, stirred very well. Took hydro reading (SG 1.088) Stirred / shook again, left 10 mins. Took second hydro reading to ensure it was the same and sugar mixed. Added oak. Ensured temp was ok (24deg), added yeast, stirred again. Put lid on with airlock. Temp dropped to 22deg (room temp) and has remained at that constantly.

Wow:

2 litre Red grape juice (100% pressed juice not from concentrate)
2 litre Apple juice (100% pressed juice not from concentrate)
680g (1lb 5oz) Sugar dissolved in 500ml warm water with juice of half a Lemon to invert sugar.
1 tsp tannin
1 tsp yeast nutrient.
1 tsp Pectolase.
1 tsp Glycerene.
1 tsp Yeast (Wilkos express wine yeast compound) Temp at 24deg when added.
Mixed well. Total sugar content = 1202g. SG = 1.102 Temp dropped to 22deg and has not changed since.

I have attached a pic showing my two fermantation bins. Thanks in advance for any advice :)

2015-08-26 09.21.49.jpg

Give it another 24 hours, one question though, was the same yeast used in both batches, or did the kit have its own yeast?

You have a massive amount of headspace and they are in buckets which are well known for leaking at the seal, don't take air lack of airlock activity as meaning nothing is happening, try pitting your ear against the side of the FV near the top you may hear it fizzing, your hydrometer is the only way to know for sure.
If you intend to make 1 gallon batches regularly buy a couple of 5 litre spring water bottles and drill them with a 9 mm drill for the airlocks, I used to have a few of these but moved to glass when I saw DJ's in charity shops.

The Beaverdale kit had its own yeast so I used that. Not sure what type, it was just labelled "red wine yeast".

I did wonder about the amount of air space. I have two 1 gal demijohns also that I planned to rack off into after primary fermentation. Does the headspace effect fermentation then?

I read that some recommend having a lot of air or even have the wine uncovered for the first day or two because the yeast needs oxygen to get going?

Does the headspace effect fermentation then?

No, CO2 produced during fermentation fills the space and protects the wine.

I read that some recommend having a lot of air or even have the wine uncovered for the first day or two because the yeast needs oxygen to get going

I have read this and all i can say is i have made many (countless) gallons of wine and have never had one fail due to having too little head space.

Having too much head space is not a problem during fermentation but is when the wine is finished if you intend to age it for a long period.

The large head space would add oxidation when maturing I gather.

How much is up for debate however.

Ok great, thanks for the info. I am pleased to report there is a little foam visible now creeping up the sides. More so in the kit than the WOW but still, its certainly doing something. :party:

I was like you a week and a half ago. :p

It (Beaverdale) started fermenting in a few hours.

I'm now waiting for it to get to 990 after racking it at 1010 - it's a notch or Two under 1000 at the 'mo

The instructions in the Beaverdale Melrot I have say that primary fermentation will take 15-20 days. I will probably take a hydro reading in a week to see how its getting on.

I am not expecting the WOW I am doing to be ready to rack for at least 2-3 weeks either with an SG of 1.102.

You will have to let me know what you think of the Beaverdale when you bottle it. (assuming you will be having a cheeky sample! :wink:)

How long are you going to let it mature before you drink t?

My parents and myself will have One or Two and then the rest will be cellared until Christmas week.

But as you might of seen I'm going to add less water to the Beaverdale next time to get more body and a more traditional strength wine.

Back