Alcohol content issues

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDad

'Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat'
Reaction score
I figure I ‘may’ be incorrect in my calculations of the alcohol content of my home brews.

How is it I can drink a 70cl bottle of red wine from the shop weighing in at 13-14% and get barely a buzz yet one 500ml bottle of home made fruit punch with an estimated alcohol content of 7.8% give me ‘at least’ the same buzz as the wine and two 500ml bottles knock me sideways?

I’ll not comment on the night I drank 3 litres (6 bottles) of the punch other than I can’t remember going to bed and I had a hangover for three days.

Surely the estimated alcohol content cannot be that much out of whack otherwise I wouldn’t be able to drink it. The punch is easier to drink than the shop bought wine yet knocks me on my a**e.

If you are getting hardly a buzz from 700ml of red wine at 13/14% and more from a 500ml bottle of fruit punch at 7.8% i would say your calculations are wrong.

Sparkling wines (don't know if your punch is sparkling) deliver their alcoholic punch quicker than still wines. Lots of people have observed this effect. It may be to do with the fizzing of the sparking wine in the stomach. I don't understand how this works, but it might account for part of the effect you are observing.

A GLASS of bubbly goes to the head more quickly than still wine, according to a study confirming the inebriating properties of Champagne.

Scientists have shown that fizz of Champagne speeds up the absorbtion of alcohol into the bloodstream, making drinkers more giggly.

The effect of bubbles is so powerful that just two glasses can send people dangerously close to the drink driving limit, the team from University of Surrey found.

Dr Fran Ridout and colleagues tested the effects of Champagne during two drinks parties held at her Guildford laboratory for 12 unwitting volunteers.

Half the guests were given flat Champagne, the bubbles of which had been purged beforehand with a whisk, while the rest were given drinks fresh from the bottle. The following week, the experiment was repeated, but with the roles reversed, New Scientist reports today.

David Derbyshire, Science Correspondent12:01AM GMT 20 Dec 2001

Don't forget in also depends on how you feel in yourself and what you've eaten.

I can drink a 660ml bottle of Peroni and feel nothing but I can drink the same size in Cobera and feel like I need to go to bed but it's all down to what I ate and what time.

If you felt full after a meal and drunk a beer or two it will delay how quick the alcohol will get in to your system, which is why if you drink on an empty stomach or only have a light meal you'll get drunk quicker.

Also it doesn't matter too much on the ABV as it's how quick you ingest 2.8 units alcohol which will make you drunk chemically. There also other factors like food etc.

haha I know what you mean fella

I had a couple (or 4) of taster 500ml bottles of the punch I made the other week as well as I bottle of h/m cider and was still ****** the next morning

I don't know if age has anything to do with it either, the very young stuff seems to be a bit funkier compared with stuff that's been left for a bit

Back