Wooden Barrels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greetings,

Do any of you guys use 55 gallon wood whiskey barrels to make hard cider?

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

I cannot remember anyone discussing this and i have been here a while, i imagine that would be a lot of apples to crush.

I made it for years in a 55 wooden barrel. But with some life changes haven't made it for about 8 years. The barrel not having been used or even touched in that period of time. Does anyone know if it would still be good to use?

I got an old barrel (9 gallon firkin) from a boot fair and filled it with water. It leaked but most leaks stopped as it swelled. There was a crack and a small hole which I stopped with sealant. The water tasted fine with no taint so I filled it with white wine which came out tasting better than when it went in. I then filled it with red wine which has been in there for several months and is very smooth.
I estimate a 50 gallon barrel would require 500 kilos of apples to fill with cider.

Yea I buy 55 gallons of cider from a cider mill. About 50 gallons of it fits with the other ingredients. Then I have about 5 gallons I put into milk jugs to enjoy at that time in the fall

Back