Malty Sweetness

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops_and_Dreams

Landlord.
Reaction score
A couple of my IPAs I've made recently I've made intentionally dryer with dextrose and lower mash temps.

However, I'd like to make one that has a malty sweetness to it, similar to Lagunitas. I recently tried Devils Backbone at Wetherspoons and it is a similar style. I'm sure Goose Island does too. The first two seem to be a deep golden colour.

Is it simply a case of mashing at a higher temperature (and no sugar obviously) or is there a particular type of malt I need too?

Cheers.

I'd guess they'll use something like vienna or munich. I've got the recipe for Goose Island in a book downstairs, I'll take a look a bit and let you know what malts it uses.

You can enhance maltiness in various ways. Grains used, yeast choice, mash temperature, IBUs, water additions.

Yep Vienna or Munich gives you a lot of that.

I did a made up 1G AG with left overs a while back and that had a lot of Munich in, was very malty

I accidentally got a malty sweet AG brew when I inadvertently let it mash at too high a temperature. the downside was that it stopped fermenting at about 1.016 . Those who tasted this brew commented on the sweet aftertaste it had. I liked it and would like to try and do that again. I may try and do a mash at 69C, but will probably make it a 10l brew in case it goes wrong. To be honest, I am alll over the place with strike temperature. I need to use the tables and work out exactly how much hot water I have. I should probably be using better scales than the £3 IKEA kitchen ones too, other wise my calculations of malt weight, water volume and strike temperature will be as they are - RUBBISH! :)

I accidentally got a malty sweet AG brew when I inadvertently let it mash at too high a temperature. the downside was that it stopped fermenting at about 1.016 . Those who tasted this brew commented on the sweet aftertaste it had. I liked it and would like to try and do that again. I may try and do a mash at 69C, but will probably make it a 10l brew in case it goes wrong. To be honest, I am alll over the place with strike temperature. I need to use the tables and work out exactly how much hot water I have. I should probably be using better scales than the £3 IKEA kitchen ones too, other wise my calculations of malt weight, water volume and strike temperature will be as they are - RUBBISH! :)

As you say it may just be your cheapo scales but I use a strike temp calc that I find is never more than 1C out

http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/calc.html

I got some good digital scales from Tescos, accurate to 1g and can measure up to 5kg (although the plastic bowl I use will only take 2kg of grain). They are the type you can reset so that you can add the smaller parts of the grain bill into the same bowl. I think it was about £9.

(It was also the the final purchase to separate from using kitchen equipment - "where are you going with those scales ?").

When you mash at higher temps you will get higher FGs which is fine if you are planning it that way. You should try a porter if you haven't already.

Latest posts

Back