Malty Sweetness

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thatscold

Reaction score
I like to brew and drink lagers. My usual grain bill is simply lager malt and carapils for head retention.
I’ve recently being sampling a fair number of craft brewed lagers and many have a notable malty sweetness and aroma which is absent from my bees. I’d like to try and introduce this to my next batch, but I’m unsure what malts to add to the grain bill?
I normally mash at 66C for 60mins. I guess I could adjust the mash temp to promote more unfermentable sugars?

Whilst I don't brew/drink lager.... how about adding some Vienna. Say ~10% to start but can be more. Will also add (just) a touch of colour but not too much.

The best german lagers tend to be very well attenuated and have great malt flavour. The suggestion of vienna is a good one, or munich at 10%. Another option is a light caramel malt like carahell or equivalent at about 2%.

What lagers have you been trying out of interest? I've never been particularly impressed with most british brewed ones, but haven't tried any new ones in ages so would appreciate some recommendations.

Add Vienna, Munich or a low Crystal.
I do a malty sweet beer using 1/3rd Vienna. Munich and Base malt a bit like German festbiers

I got this The Mega 24 Mixed Brewery Lager Box – Bier Company
For £25 on a deal.
As with most mixed cases there are some ‘fillers’ that are ****. But some of the beers have been good. I like the ones from Black Isle Brewery, and the continental cans are good.

Siren Craft is on my doorstep and they have been brewing a few lagers lately. I might pick up a few cams tomorrow.

Vienna malt will make up part of my next grist!

I’ve recently being sampling a fair number of craft brewed lagers and many have a notable malty sweetness and aroma which is absent from my bees.
Bees?
Could you give us a hand here? What specific craft lagers have impressed you most? Could you say a bt more about the aroma? Is it hoppy of a bready aroma from the malt. I'm not convinced that adding darker and/or crystal malts is the answer (although it might be) It may well be a product of the malt used and the mash method, for example, a triple decoction mash of the kind described whenever Pilsner Urquell is mentioned will change the beer in the glass unrecognisably. Otherwise you might try using a malt like Crisp's Haná, which, at the very least, needs a protein rest. Then the hops: some craft brewers use late additions, which is not traditional, but would certainly alter the aroma.
More info needed otherwise you're just shooting in the dark.

I would say definitely from the malts. I wouldn’t describe it as a bready aroma, it’s sweet malty aroma and flavour. Low hop bitterness and minimal hop aroma.
I bought some pilsner Urquell recently and I was underwhelmed, it was pretty tasteless.

I would say definitely from the malts. I wouldn’t describe it as a bready aroma, it’s sweet malty aroma and flavour. Low hop bitterness and minimal hop aroma.
I bought some pilsner Urquell recently and I was underwhelmed, it was pretty tasteless.
I know what mean about the Urquell, it's not the beer it used to be. It tastes like washing up liquid now. It used to be a lovely beer, though. From what you say, it sounds as if the baron's advice above is going to get you closest to where you want to be.

I like to brew and drink lagers. My usual grain bill is simply lager malt and carapils for head retention.
I’ve recently being sampling a fair number of craft brewed lagers and many have a notable malty sweetness and aroma which is absent from my bees. I’d like to try and introduce this to my next batch, but I’m unsure what malts to add to the grain bill?
I normally mash at 66C for 60mins. I guess I could adjust the mash temp to promote more unfermentable sugars?
In a homebrew context, the best example I have had that I believe matches up to what you are talking about is DocAnna's Festbier. I'd suggest getting in touch with her, or searching on her thread as I am sure she posted the recipe up for it already. Once we are in lager brewing season, I will certainly be doing something very similar which IIRC, involved a wee bit of crystal malt and possibly some Munich/Vienna too.

Latest posts

Back