ppm vs mg/l

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
Are these measurements the same thing?
I'm trying to read my water report and use the Water book (John Palmer and Colin Kaminski) I think the difference would be my water report is British and the book is American.
I have found an online calculator and it seems they are the same thing..?

Are these measurements the same thing?
I'm trying to read my water report and use the Water book (John Palmer and Colin Kaminski) I think the difference would be my water report is British and the book is American.
I have found an online calculator and it seems they are the same thing..?

Yes they are. Milligram = 1/1000 gram, litre = 1000 mls so it's 1 in a million or 1 part per million.

I'm happy to have a look at your water report if you want to post it.

Theres a more detailed tab there on the right where you can view it in pdf format

OK. So your water report (from December 2013 so lets hope nothing radical has happened to the water) says :-

Calcium 28
Chloride 16
Nitrate 8
Sulphate 19
Hardness as CaCO3 70 (moderately soft) (84 as HCO3)
pH 7.8

It doesn't give Magnesium but that is not unusual, you can approximate it as Magnesium is four times less soluble than Calcium so that puts it around 7.

It terms of beer styles it's quite balanced (Sulphate and Chloride are similar) and soft.

Just a bit too much hardness to make a lager as is (although I'd probably give it a go) but a very good base for everything else, particularly if you are willing to add salts. Just about ideal for pale ales.

Back