Green bullet pale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHW

Landlord.
Reaction score
No idea where I nicked this recipe from but someone might recognise it. Anyway, I'm planning on getting it on this Sunday.

10L batch

Grain
Maris otter 2000g (83.3%)
Crystal 30L 150g (6.3%)
Munich 120g (5%)
Torrefied wheat 130g (5.4%)

Hops
Green bullet (13% AA) 10g @60m
Green bullet 15g @10m
Green bullet 10g @flame out
Green bullet 10g dry hop

OG 1056
FG 1016
IBU 51

Yeast US-SA05 (boring I know)

No real idea what it will turn out like as I've never used green bullet or Munich, but I'm anticipating malty residual sweetness from the Munich, with good bitterness balance and some forward hoppiness from the late addition and dry hops.

We'll see...

Your comments and improvements are invited.

It'll be good. Green Bullet are pretty potent, strong assertive bitterness. And nice aroma which I've heard likened to Styrian Goldings. I like them. This will be a very bitter beer with a lot of citrus fruitiness. Methinks.

It'll be good. Green Bullet are pretty potent, strong assertive bitterness. And nice aroma which I've heard likened to Styrian Goldings. I like them. This will be a very bitter beer with a lot of citrus fruitiness. Methinks.

Til I screw it up at some point.

If it tastes like your description, clibit, I'll have done alright. I'll post a brew day report Sunday pm. Need to get a propane cylinder in first. I'm terrified the one I have will conk out halfway through a boil.

I'm currently sat by the shed while this boils away.

Bit concerned about the hops though. I bought them earlier this year and hadn't noticed they were 2012 harvest! So 3 years old. They were vac packed but on opening they looked brown and smelt unusual. I haven't used gb before so it might just be how they smell, but my hunch is that they are well past their best. Any gb users that can have noticed they smell a bit odd?

Oh well, they're in the boil now. I guess this will be a wait and see job.

Only other mishap was knocking two of my hop additions onto the floor of the shed while getting my grain bag out. Doh.

image.jpg

They shouldn't be brown. Doesn't sound good tbh. Got any other hops?

They weren't totally brown but had a tinge. Plenty of other hops but I went for it anyway as the mash was on by the time I'd opened the pack. Couldn't be bothered to rethink the recipe by then. Smelt ok in the boil, I'm hoping it'll turn out ok.

The revelation was my home made chiller. Took about 25 mins to get to 21c, so much easier than faffing about with the bath.

The next thing I need to solve in my set up is how much trub I get in the fv. The pan hop filter gets any large particles but it's still very soupy. In a 10 L batch there's not enough hops in the pan to act as a filter. Might try a fine mesh bag over the tap or something like that on my next brew.

Had a sniff of this last nite to check on progress. no airlock on my small fv and I had left well alone til then so this was a first sight of it and I was a little nervous that it wouldn't smell great after my concern about the old hops. Anyway, it smelt pretty good, no off notes in there and plenty of nice aroma so I'm hopeful that the hops were ok after all.

Still, I'm going to avoid dry hopping with the green bullet and going to chuck in a few grams of centennial I have lurking in the freezer instead. No idea if they're a good paring but I can't see it going to far wrong!

Bottling this weekend.

I reckon your FG should get lower than 1016 with US05. 1012 ish perhaps. Depending on your mash temperature.

I reckon your FG should get lower than 1016 with US05. 1012 ish perhaps. Depending on your mash temperature.

Temp was a solid 67c. Think this was based on 75% attenuation so yes, more is possible. Though isn't that what Munich does; add a bit of unfermentable malty sweetness?

Bottled this today, 17 in total. Finished at predicted fg, 1016. So a little over 5% abv, perfect for me.

Obviously had a taster of the sample. Not v promising, tbh, I would describe is as tasting like the end of a barrel. Which it was I suppose as it was the last dregs from the Fv. Anyway, we'll see. I dry hopped it weds with some leftover centennial to try and mask any off flavours from the old green bullet it was boiled with.

anyway, to make this otherwise mundane post more interesting, who can guess which breweries/beers these bottles are from? The prize for the first person to get them all right is the satisfaction of being the first person to get them all right:

image.jpg

Just going off the shape: Fullers, Guinness, Wychwood.

Can make out the Moorlands on the bottom of one.

They're all I can manage...

Dave

4/6
One of them is fiendishly hard though there is a small clue visible

Is the other clear one Badger? I can make the K out on the last brown one, but I am none the wiser.

It is a badger, you're right. Think it was tanglefoot but they're all in the same bottles.

Clue for the last one, the guy who gave me the bottle hails from kenya

The short fat one is Guinness West Indies porter, that's not the Kenyan one!

Cracked the first of these tonight. Always a nervous moment and I didn't really what to expect especially as the hops seemed a bit fusty when I brewed it. However, what I have got is still rather unexpected.

It's verging on being more lager-like than pale ale, which I'm putting down to the Munich malt (though I've no real idea if that's the cause). I also primed it quite heavily which has led to a bit of fizz, and combined with the torrefied wheat it's got a lovely head which has stayed most of the way through the pint. It's super pale too which adds to the lager feel.

The strong assertive bitterness clibit mentioned is definitely there, but the aroma and hop flavour is light, again lager like. I'm not getting much of the centennial dry hop I added but that's not a real concern as it was mainly to try and cover the fustyness of the green bullet.

All in all pretty nice, in an unexpectedly lagery way.

Oh, and did I mention it's a bit like lager? Decent lager though.

Bottoms up!

Obligatory photo with new tablecloth:

image.jpg

Cracked the first of these tonight. Always a nervous moment and I didn't really what to expect especially as the hops seemed a bit fusty when I brewed it. However, what I have got is still rather unexpected.

It's verging on being more lager-like than pale ale, which I'm putting down to the Munich malt (though I've no real idea if that's the cause). I also primed it quite heavily which has led to a bit of fizz, and combined with the torrefied wheat it's got a lovely head which has stayed most of the way through the pint. It's super pale too which adds to the lager feel.

The strong assertive bitterness clibit mentioned is definitely there, but the aroma and hop flavour is light, again lager like. I'm not getting much of the centennial dry hop I added but that's not a real concern as it was mainly to try and cover the fustyness of the green bullet.

All in all pretty nice, in an unexpectedly lagery way.

Oh, and did I mention it's a bit like lager? Decent lager though.

Bottoms up!

Obligatory photo with new tablecloth:

Is that pic not a pint of larger Gareth:lol:

Back