Hop advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hiya,

I've been brewing now for about 6 months, so far I've mainly brewed British and Belgian type beers ie; yeast and malt forward.
I've recently delved into the world of hops, particularly US hops, and need some help with typical hop quantities and addition schedules.

To get a good, bold, hop hit (think SNPA or Goose Island IPA) what would you recommend as g/l ratio and when would you add them?
Also, any thoughts on preserving hop aroma during bottle conditioning?

Many thanks dudes. :thumb:

Hi Darren my hop choice has turned away from the Uk hops as of late, done some nice ales with NZ hops and a couple with USA hops Simcoe and Citra are great combos

Hi Darren my hop choice has turned away from the Uk hops as of late, done some nice ales with NZ hops and a couple with USA hops Simcoe and Citra are great combos

Hey Steve, yes, same here. I'm a bit lost with British hops but the US ones seem to be pretty lively... Climate I know. So when do you add them and how much?

the Malt Miller Mysterio's SNPA AG kit has the following hop schedule for 5 gallons:
30g Northern Brewer for 60 mins
30g Cascade last 10 mins.

70g Cascade Last 1 Min

Hey Steve, yes, same here. I'm a bit lost with British hops but the US ones seem to be pretty lively... Climate I know. So when do you add them and how much?

During the week i went down the route of 60 mins bittering hop, then 20mins 20g Citra and Simcoe then flameout 40g of Citra and Simcoe:thumb:

I used the following for my recent APA. I have slowly been increasing the late hops over several brews

Chinook - 15g - in the mash
Cascade - 25g - 15 mins
Centennial - 25g - 15 mins
Cascade - 50g - 5 mins
Centennial - 50g - 5 mins
Cascade - 25g - dry hop
Centennial - 25g dry hop

Boil time 60 mins
32 litre final volume
Pale malt - 6kg
Cara red - 500g
Wheat - 700g
ABV - 5.6%

This turned out well with a good hop punch.

I used the following for my recent APA. I have slowly been increasing the late hops over several brews

Chinook - 15g - in the mash
Cascade - 25g - 15 mins
Centennial - 25g - 15 mins
Cascade - 50g - 5 mins
Centennial - 50g - 5 mins
Cascade - 25g - dry hop
Centennial - 25g dry hop

Boil time 60 mins
32 litre final volume
Pale malt - 6kg
Cara red - 500g
Wheat - 700g
ABV - 5.6%

This turned out well with a good hop punch.

I have this hop combo in the freezer waiting to be used. Looking forward to the outcome.

Unfortunately I have loads of others waiting to be used too!

When drinking APA style beers you notice how different hops can mask others.
Tonight I started with an Apollo pale ale, then a DIPA with Zeus hops, then my black IPA with Amarillo hops, just poured my APA (as above) and am only just getting the hops and the glass is nearly empty...:smile:

Search online for a few recipes using typical us hops, c hops in particular: Columbus, cascade, citra, centennial and whatever the others are (crystal? Cluster? There's 7 c hops)

They're all great hops if you like the American IPA style. Perfect for dry hopping. The main thing to watch for is the alpha ratings, they tend to be 10-15% so the IBUs can rocket if you're not judicious with your early additions.

Personally I love these hops, though they are a bit ubiquitous these days.

Search online for a few recipes using typical us hops, c hops in particular: Columbus, cascade, citra, centennial and whatever the others are (crystal? Cluster? There's 7 c hops)

They're all great hops if you like the American IPA style. Perfect for dry hopping. The main thing to watch for is the alpha ratings, they tend to be 10-15% so the IBUs can rocket if you're not judicious with your early additions.

Personally I love these hops, though they are a bit ubiquitous these days.

they are ubiquitous but never in the quantities I use compared to most commercial breweries.

Latest posts

Back