Greg Hughes Pseudo Baltic Honey Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyQul

Chairman of the Bored
Reaction score
Made this today the using the Honey Porter receipe from GH's book. I've left the ingredients as percentages as I didn't want to put the complete receipe on the internet

Honey Porter

Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.008 (°P): 2.1
Alcohol (ABV): 5.25 %
Colour (SRM): 24.5 (EBC): 48.2
Bitterness (IBU): 19.8 (Tinseth)

63.83% Pale Malt
10.64% Crystal 30
10.64% Honey
8.51% Vienna
4.26% Carafa III malt
2.13% Chocolate

1.1 g/L Perle (6.9% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

14g Hop Tea Tettnanger

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I've changed the hopping though. In the original receipe it has Fuggles, Challenger and Wakatu at 60/10/0 but I just used perle for bittering and tommorow when my wort is cool I'm going to make a hop tea using tettnanger and add it just before pitching my yeast

I've called it "Pseudo Baltic" as I'm doing a little twist from the original. I'm going to Pseudo lager it using Nottingham yeast fermented at 15C. Then cold condition/lager it in my domestic fridge in mini kegs to turn it from a regular porter to a Baltic one

This may be a stupid question, so apologies if it is, but when you list 'honey' as an ingredient, is that actual honey from a jar or is there a type of grain called honey?

I'm almost embarrassed asking that.! Haha

Be interested to hear how this turns out, quite fancy the honey and baltic porters from that book.

Along with probably 90% of the other recipes in there....

Pitched two packets of notty yeast on Sunday. I read it's best to pitch two so there's not much lag time because its being fermented at the very bottom end of the yeast's temp range. Checked it this morning and it's gone off like a rocket. Fermenting away now nicely at 15.6C

Took a gravity reading about half an hour ago, 1.008. Right on target 81%AA from the two packets of notty I chucked in there

Very clean tasting. The honey comes through quite strongly as a flavour which I wasn't expecting quite as much. Also quite a poky/alcohol taste which I guess also comes from the honey, being mostly fermentable. This one will need a decent amount of conditioning I think. Normally I'd package it tommorow but I dont facy doing it this week so will leave it in the FV till next week to do it

This may be a stupid question, so apologies if it is, but when you list 'honey' as an ingredient, is that actual honey from a jar or is there a type of grain called honey?

I'm almost embarrassed asking that.! Haha

You can 'dry hop' by chucking the bees straight in the fv.

I was going to bottle this but I decided to do ti next week - good job.

I took a FG reading on wed and it was 1.008 so bang on target. I also just left the ice bottles in the brew bag to defrost and let everything come up to ambient temp (currently 21C). I've just checked the brew (really to see how much trub was in the FV) and it's started fermenting again :shock:. Seeing as it was at 1.008 on wed, God knows what it'll be by the time it decides to stop. Next time I decide to ferment at cooler temps I'll be making sure I give it 3 weeks instead of the usually 2.

Been thinking of doing this myself but i couldn't find the wakatu hops anywhere. Do you think this is anything like St Peters Honey Porter (which i love)? Would WL WLP004 be a good yeast for this (Irish ale yeast)?

I used perle hops instead of wakatu. wlp004 would be good I think too. I never made the st peters kit so cant compare

Thanks MyQul, do your porters normally get down to 1008? Isn't that a bit dry for a dark beer? I dont have all the ingredients or i would give this a go next week.

No all my porter don't usually get that low. It's because of the 500g of honey in it which is mostly all fermentable, that and he fact I used nottingham yeast which is highly attenuative (80%AA). If you look at the expected FG in the GH book it's 1.009. A little drier than a porter would normally be but I really like dry dark beer - lets the roastyness of he dark malts stand out (especially in adry stout)

Unfortunately I now strongly suspect this brew has gotten infected by wild yeast. It is still fermenting even though it hit the target FG last wednesday. I took another gravity yesterday sample and it's still at 1.008 but still seems to be fermenting. From what I've read never ending fermentation if a sign of wild yeast. I'm going to package it on thursday and see what happens. Fingers crossed :pray:

Are you absolutely sure? You may be right but I reckon it's fairly unlikely in the middle of winter.

That's the thing, no I'm not. From my reading there can be other reasons for ongoing fermentation however my flat never really gets below 17C/18C and that when it's really cold. Normally it's around 20C/21C, so fine, I think, for wild yeast. I'm going to package the beer on Thursday anyway and see what happens. I'll also bleach the FV just to make sure. The beer tastes fine, and the FG/attenuation is bang on target.

Ah the yeast. I am tempted to do a porter and bung it on the St Peters yeast cake ans that normally finishes at 1014. I know its off topic but do you remember i brewed a stout from your recipe about 6 months ago. Forgotten the name of the thread and i cant find the recipe but i had given up on it. Tasted to roasty and had a strong alcohol taste. Happy to say 5 months later its most drinkable. Cheers MyQul.

Latest posts

Back