Greg Hughes Pseudo Baltic Honey Porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah the yeast. I am tempted to do a porter and bung it on the St Peters yeast cake ans that normally finishes at 1014. I know its off topic but do you remember i brewed a stout from your recipe about 6 months ago. Forgotten the name of the thread and i cant find the recipe but i had given up on it. Tasted to roasty and had a strong alcohol taste. Happy to say 5 months later its most drinkable. Cheers MyQul.

That was an attempted clone of the HBC Perculiar Peter's stout

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54647

I've mini kegged most of this but I bottled about 5L. Just had one and after only 1 week conditioning it tastes fantastic. The honey really comes through, a real winter beer. This doesn't taste like any dark beer I've ever had. Normally I can take or leave honey I'm not that struck on it but this it's lovely in this porter

I really hope it isn't infected. So far the signs are looking good. I carbonated it quite low so I didn't get bottle bombs and so far there doesn't seem to be any over attenuation. If it stays like they stay like that for a month I should be fine

That's one to do next then once i get i place my next order. I am glad you brewed this, made me really wanna do it asap. Cheers

It's like no porter I've ever tried. Yes it's got the honey taste there in abundance but normally you associate the taste of honey with sweetness. This is exactly the opposite and is quite a dry beer. Usually I associate dry beers with hoppyness but this isn't. It's really hard to describe, but it's nice so far with only about a weeks conditioning. Like I say, I REALLY hope it isn't infected. If it is I'll have to drink it all quickly before it over attenuates to nothing :mrgreen:

I am itching to try this out. Really got back into dark beers lately. Just unfortunate there are so many calories in them. Do i really need 2 packs of Notty or could i get away with one and a starter. Probably struggle to find anywhere at 15c. I might split it and try WLP004 on half of it.
I am intending to swap the Carafa3 for Carafa2. Presume this will still work?

I am itching to try this out. Really got back into dark beers lately. Just unfortunate there are so many calories in them. Do i really need 2 packs of Notty or could i get away with one and a starter. Probably struggle to find anywhere at 15c. I might split it and try WLP004 on half of it.
I am intending to swap the Carafa3 for Carafa2. Presume this will still work?

I only fermeted at 15C as I wanted to have a first go at pseudo lagering. If I was to do this beer again I wouldn't use a yeast as high attenuating as notty becasue that combined with the honey dried the beer out too much I think. I'd probably use MJ M03 tbh which has a medium attenuation but the honey will dry things out but not too much. I did this recently with a Bitter, whereby I used M03 and added golden syrup. It was really nice, I managed to get the balance right of not to dry or sweet and got flavours from the golden syrup coming through

Carafa 3 for 2 is fine. Just a little bit different flavour

Cheers MyQul. Just got this on the go with 50g of black malt. Wort tastes really nice and i should have the correct hops. Will check out what yeast i have in the cupboard. Exciting.

If you've got S-04, I think that would be ok as it only has 75% attenuation. You've made your wort now by the sound of things but you could have also mashed high/for a shorter time to get a less fermentable wort then used the notty

Latest posts

Back