Coopers Wheat Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgreenough

Reaction score
Thought i would try a coopers wheat beet enriched with orange and coriander.

I am using 500g muntons spray wheat and 1kg better brew amber dme, and a sachet of safbrew wb-06 yeast.

Going to get it started in the next day or so, in the meantime i have dewaxed the oranges, peeled and dried the peel in the oven.

Not sure yet on how much orange and coriander to put in yet, hence a lot of orange peel. I would rather dry too much than not have enough. I have seen quantities of 30g each somewhere, does this sound right?

f38b401cbdfea8fad5319f951ea25a15.jpg

Hi
I've just put this on to brew and I'm planning 25-30g of the orange and coriander. I am planning to make a 'tea' with them in the second week and leave them in the FV for around 7 days.

Looks like you have a lot of fermentables, what ABV are you aiming for?

Brew is now on. I pitched at the top end of 27°c as it is quite cold at the moment. OG 1.048

b85203246d1312590e6881256ffb696c.jpg

We have krausen escaping...

6a5024891ae406d716c001959c2eea66.jpg

It has died down a bit now, but left a lot of dried **** on the fllor. Smells good though.

I'm doing this (as I mentioned) but I am keeping temp low 18 - 20 after the first day. Does anyone know if this would have a negative effect?

Also it has a very strong smell, almost cidery. Should I be worried?

cheers

Don't worry about the smell, fermentation can give off some funny smells but the end result should be fine, and 18-20°C is fine too, better than 27°c :thumb:

There's a post on a Coopers Forum website all about their yeast, and in amongst it all it suggests that the Wheat Beer kit should be brewed at an optimum temperature of 24*C.
Post #18 in https://www.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/7290/
No idea whether this is kosher or not, so I suppose 'yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice'.:hmm:
Not done a wheat beer before so can't help on the cidery thing.

My understanding is that its an ale yeast in the wheat beer kit and if brewed at higher temps will give more yeasty flavours/esters, some people claim they have fermented at 16°C with good results but most seem to use 18-22°C

I bought the safbrew wb-06 yeast which gives off more esters than normal ale yeast. I only started at 27 because my house was cold but is now going at a steady 20. The cidery smell is normal as mine smells like too. It will disapear after a nice maturation period.

Bottling night tonight, brew is stable at 1.008 which gives an abv of 5.8%

Bottles bought from asda (eden falls sparkling) at £1.37 for a pack of 6 😀 Aldi has them cheaper at 99p for 6 but i dont have a store nearby.

Batch primed the fv with 160g sugar disolved in 100ml water

4ba4adaba6011662bd01a5075b707202.jpg

d304b6a5c58a2b4b517714914737ffed.jpg

What is the best serving temperature for this coopers wheat beer? Is it like Hoegarden where you drink it practically freezing? Or around fridge temp 4°c

I say, Whatever temp YOU prefer, real ale and red wine is supposed to be drunk at room temp, but I prefer them cold.:thumb:

It will be stored in the garage which is similar to cellar temp, so will see what its like in a couple of weeks.

Stuck in the house at the moment due to the snow, so decided to crack one of the wheatbeers open after 9 days carbonation for quality control. It is well carbonated but the head does not last, but i never expected it to as a few weeks maturing will fix that. But taste wise all i can say is wow!!! It tastes superb like a cross between leffe and hoegarden. Cant wait for this to mature now, i need to hide it away to stop my self drinking it too early.

Mine has been bottled for just over 2 weeks now, still indoors and the 2 testers I tried after a day in the fridge were lovely. :thumb:

My aim was for this to be a summer brew but just cant see it lasting.

I wonder if it is a drink best taken young? Will age improve flavours or will they dwindle?

Latest posts

Back