Coopers Irish Stout with a twist...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to get a Coopers Irish Stout kit under way this weekend, but I will be going my own way a little with the recipe.

I have 1kg of Youngs Beer Enhancer and I have picked up 500g of crushed chocolate malt, I also have 1kg of demerara Sugar.

The plan is as below, but I do have some quick advice questions please...

1.7kg tin of Coopers Irish Stout
1kg Youngs Beer Enhancer (Dextrose & Malt 50/50 I believe)
250g crushed chocolate malt in a brew bag and 1.5ltrs of water at 65 degrees for 30mins then rinse with 1.5ltrs of water at 80 degrees, then bring the 3ltrs to the boil for 10mins.
200g demerara sugar
Brewed to 21ltrs using the standard Coopers kit yeast

My main questions are:
Have I got the right procedure for my chocolate malt and does this add fermentable sugar to the party as well as colour and flavour, if so, how much?
Will 200g of demerara affect flavour much? I am not really after a significant change in flavour, maybe just a hint and an up in ABV, with that said, will 200g have much affect on ABV?
Is it ok to dissolve the demerara sugar in the boil, or will this affect anything?
Any idea where the ABV may end up with the above ingredients?

Once done, I will bottle condition, not worked out my priming rate per ltr yet, but in my mind, I was thinking maybe 5g priming sugar per ltr. I used 8g per ltr for my lager.

Thanks for reading!

Just wondering, not much experience with chocolate malt, but will 500g not over power every other aroma?
Yes, from the research I have done so far, I think it needs to be under 10% of your batch as a rule to avoid over flavours, so I am using 250g in this batch and keeping the other half for a future batch. ;)

That said, if anyone else has experience of chocolate malt, happy to hear if even 250g will be too much?

Last edited:
If you used a lager yeast at ale temps you're probably not far away from a Tropical Stout there.

Latest posts

Back