Greg Hughes Recipe Confusion:s ??????

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motorhomebrew

AKA - RobsHomebrew
Reaction score
Right then. Iv been looking at the recipes in the Greg Hughes book for a while now and where it talks about Total Liquor at the top of the recipe, it doesn't tally with the combined liquor for the mash & the boil????? So basically I'm reading the recipe and I see the Total amount of liquor is 34 litres. So I look at the mash and it says you need 17.5 litres, so then I look at the boil and it requires 27 litres for the boil. Now here's my confusion. If I add 27 litres to 17.5 I get 44.5. So the only way I get to 27 litres for the boil is to add 9.5 litres to the mash before the boil. But this doesn't add up to the Total Liquor amount of 34????????? I'm really confused. Am I being an idiot? Help please

Sparging???

This.

Deduct the Mash Liquor from the total liquor. This should give you the sparge volume required to leave you with the boil volume, taking into account loss to grain absorption. Actual totals will differ slightly though, dependent on your setup.

Ok guys so I'm going to doing brew in a bag so does this change anything?? And if I take 11.5 (mash) from total 31.5 I'm left with 20 and I need 27 for the boil. Sorry chaps but this makes no sense to me. Any more help to assist the penny to drop would be appreciated

It will say how much for the mash and how much for the boil just aim for those figures.

Yea it does but I want to know why the total liquor?

Anyway on a side note. If I'm doing BIAG ill mash in 11.5 and pour over 3 or 4 litres over the bag to sparge or as much until clear? And then I can add up to 27 litres for the boil. Does this sound ok?

Should I just ignore the Total Liquor from now on ? Lol

Ok guys so I'm going to doing brew in a bag so does this change anything?? And if I take 11.5 (mash) from total 31.5 I'm left with 20 and I need 27 for the boil. Sorry chaps but this makes no sense to me. Any more help to assist the penny to drop would be appreciated

Yes it does :) You'll have your mash water (less absorption) to add to the 20 litre sparge water, leaving you with (approximately) 27 litres pre boil volume.

I've never done a BIAB, so not sure how or if you would adjust for this.

It means you need enough sparge water to add to the wort from the mash to give you 27 litres in the kettle before the boil.

If you have 5kg grain you might mash with 12 litres water. You would get approx 7 litres from the mash to the kettle as approx 5 litres will soak into the grain. To get to 27 litres you therefore need 20 litres sparge water.

With true BIAB you use all the water in the mash, so 32 litres. 5 will be absorbed into the grain.

If you want to sparge you don't have to do the pour over method. You could do a 15 minute dunk sparge instead. I think this is a much easier option. Once your sparge is done you just add the mash water in and boil. It's up to you really. I think we all find our own way given the equipment and space we have available. To be honest I take the water volumes in the book as a guide and have worked out what volumes I need by trial and error and by putting my recipes in Brewsmith or the like. Good luck:thumb:

At the end of the boil when you switch the geatboff, add that batch of hops. Let them steep in the beer, usually about 30 mins.

If you are using a peco boiler you may need more water in the mash because the boiler is wide. If you are using loads of grain the mash water doesn't cover it all.

If you are using a peco boiler you may need more water in the mash because the boiler is wide. If you are using loads of grain the mash water doesn't cover it all.

If using a Peco boiler most of us mash in as much water as you can manage - about 27litres heated before adding the bag/grain.

Latest posts

Back