Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Brewing Books & Publications > Mikkellers Book of beer.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:36 PM   #11
teadixon

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 37

@jceg316 I'd love to know which ones you've tried.

I'm looking at doing the Drinkin' The Sun for an easy going table beer type brew, I might up the % to a high 3 or so and also the Firestone Black IPA.

One thing I'd like is a bit of a preamble to the recipes as one question I have is the thinking behind his difficulty scale. What makes the harder recipes hard? What should I look out for?

The Typos are pretty bad - they even mistyped one of the beer names! All Other Pales Pale is called All Other Pale Ales at the top of the recipe and I've spotted several more mistakes (am I really meant to ferment the porter at 121 C? I think that should be 21 C). It's a shame as it detracts from an otherwise pretty good book.

I agree about the history too - his 'Gypsy Brewing' technique is interesting, that he was into running when he was 14 isn't.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:30 PM   #12
jceg316

Liked 226 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by teadixon View Post
@jceg316 I'd love to know which ones you've tried.

I'm looking at doing the Drinkin' The Sun for an easy going table beer type brew, I might up the % to a high 3 or so and also the Firestone Black IPA.

One thing I'd like is a bit of a preamble to the recipes as one question I have is the thinking behind his difficulty scale. What makes the harder recipes hard? What should I look out for?

The Typos are pretty bad - they even mistyped one of the beer names! All Other Pales Pale is called All Other Pale Ales at the top of the recipe and I've spotted several more mistakes (am I really meant to ferment the porter at 121 C? I think that should be 21 C). It's a shame as it detracts from an otherwise pretty good book.

I agree about the history too - his 'Gypsy Brewing' technique is interesting, that he was into running when he was 14 isn't.
I also wonder what is considered difficult in this book. Seems to be kind of random, and none of the recipes are particularly hard. I look at some of the IPAs, or beers with a hefty malt bill, and get that feeling of tedium that I have to buy 100 different ingredients and spend 40 minutes weighing them all out. However that's not difficult, just my own laziness.

I first tried Draft Bear but something went wrong on brew day (can't remember what). It came out nice but not what I thought.

Rauchpils was really good, I've only ever drank a smoked lager once before, this came out really well and the batch went quickly - my friends enjoyed it too. Tried the

Milk Stout but added coca nibs to secondary. The flavour was great but I think the sugars are still being fermented in the bottle - they are now all pretty lively on opening.

Monk's Brew is possibly my favourite. I made it in April sometime and still have some bottles left, it keeps getting better with age. I used MJ Trappist yeast instead of the one in the recipe, when I brew it again I think I'll try and culture up Westmalle yeast instead.

The next one I brew from the book will probably be Green Gold or Black Hole. I've heard really good things about the former.

Drinkin' in the Sun looks like a really interesting one to do. I think it's harder to make a good tasting weak beer than a good tasting strong beer. I trust his recipes so it'll be great to see how it comes out.
teadixon Likes This 
Old 09-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #13
geigercntr
Miembro senior

Liked 118 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Not tried any recipes yet, but they at least *look* pretty good to my untrained eye. Typos are common but not too distracting for me. The epic monolithic ego is a bit annoying.

Overall a really good book though.

However be warned that the main author rocks a terrifying jacket...

Brew days thread

Brewing:
WntrWrmr - Xmas brew
The Golden Sour
Conditioning/Drinking:
stout
Saison - split batch ½ with MJ French Saison (RIP), ½ with MJ+Orval dregs
doNotGoseGentleIntoThatGoodNight
Planning:
the brown ale I keep neglecting to make
Some kind of extract based pseudolambic
teadixon Likes This 
Old 09-01-2017, 12:38 PM   #14
peteplus1

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 130

Quote:
Got this for Christmas.

Enjoying reading it - any recipes anyone's tried?
I've done the milk stout and beer geek breakfast stout. both turned out fabulous.
There are a few typos as people have said. One recipe grain bill adds up completely wrong. But its a great book to have nonetheless. Thoroughly recommend it!
teadixon Likes This 
Old 09-01-2017, 10:54 PM   #15
teadixon

Thanks all - looking forward to trying a few of these!

@geigercntr - interesting doc, thanks. I quite like his cardigan!
geigercntr Likes This 
Old 25-01-2017, 08:33 PM   #16
teadixon

Anyone tried the Wookey Jack Black IPA recipe?

I'm planning to do it but I'm a bit puzzled by the fact it has no dry hop. No dry hop in an IPA of any kind seems a bit odd, no?

I may just dry hop it anyway, or dry hop half of it and do a comparison. But I'm pretty sure the dry hop will make it better so why not just dry hop the lot??

Old 25-01-2017, 08:40 PM   #17
peteplus1

Quote:
Anyone tried the Wookey Jack Black IPA recipe?

I'm planning to do it but I'm a bit puzzled by the fact it has no dry hop. No dry hop in an IPA of any kind seems a bit odd, no?

I may just dry hop it anyway, or dry hop half of it and do a comparison. But I'm pretty sure the dry hop will make it better so why not just dry hop the lot??
I was just looking at this tonight in the book again. The Firestone Walker beer ? If I can get hold of the ingredients I might try this after my next brew

Old 25-01-2017, 10:37 PM   #18
teadixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteplus1 View Post
I was just looking at this tonight in the book again. The Firestone Walker beer ? If I can get hold of the ingredients I might try this after my next brew
That's the one.

I found everything easily online (I use Brew UK).

What do you think about the fact there's no dry hop? Does that seem odd to you for a black IPA?

Old 26-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #19
peteplus1

Quote:
That's the one.

I found everything easily online (I use Brew UK).

What do you think about the fact there's no dry hop? Does that seem odd to you for a black IPA?
I'm not that far advanced into my brewing yet to know. I'm sure there are plenty who can advise though. Let me know if you get it going!

Old 26-01-2017, 04:45 PM   #20
teadixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteplus1 View Post
I'm not that far advanced into my brewing yet to know. I'm sure there are plenty who can advise though. Let me know if you get it going!
Will do I just made the Drink'In The Sun today planning to do this one in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know when I get to it.
peteplus1 Likes This