Primary fermentation left for over 2yrs. Will it be OK?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crofty83

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey folks.

Not been around for a while as you can probably tell from the topic. I started a brew about 2yrs ago and it's still sat there untouched. Is it best to bin the lot and start again or do you think the blanket of CO2 will have been retained and the brew will be OK?

Cheers

Haha, bloody hell! I'm a sucker for punishment, so I'd be giving it a go. You never know, but it has a chance to be pretty pungent. Only one way to find out though :drink:

maybe you need some fresh yeast if you want it to prime in bottles...
let us know ow it is!

Haha, bloody hell! I'm a sucker for punishment, so I'd be giving it a go. You never know, but it has a chance to be pretty pungent. Only one way to find out though :drink:

Hello Notlaw. The Lancashire area seems to be a pretty popular area for brewing. I shall let you know if I survive.

I'd bottle one and try it in two weeks. It's been there a year so another two weeks won't hurt!
I suspect yeast autolysis would be your main (potential) issue.
Is it kit or ag?

Who knows, you may have just started a new craze in primary fermentation!

If bottle one and try it in two weeks. It's been there a year so another two weeks won't hurt!
I suspect yeast autolysis would be your main (potential) issue.
Is it kit or ag?

Who knows, you may have just started a new craze in primary fermentation!

It was from a kit.

Well, I reckon it'll be more than a potential issue! :-(
I don't like my beer to sit in primary longer than 2 weeks!

Please let us know how it does taste, though, it'll be interesting. I'm voting for pretty bad indeed :lol:

Yes, I suspect it will be more than a potential issue, but I'm forever optimistic! ;-)
I guess it depends on a few things like temp stability, strain, nutrition etc...
And of course the op's susceptibility to particular off flavours.

I would have tasted some before carbonation as if it is :sick: then it won't get much better for being fizzy.

You could always bottle it and sell it as eco slug-bait. :mrgreen: .....New brand - slug beer.

I think you'll have got yourself a very fine lambic beer there. I don't know a huge amount about this style but I think there's a number of them that are left for about two years and they go through several stages (including autolysis) to come out the other end as a lambic

Can I just ask... how did you manage to leave a brew in a fermenter for 2 years?

Work commitments. I've changed jobs twice and had quite a massive period of training for both roles so not had the time to do the brewing and spend time with the family as well. Plus the shed where it is got a right mess and has only just been sorted out.

I've opened it up this morning and there is the thick spongy build up on the top. It's that hard it doesn't even break when I press it. It just folds in half.

Scrape it off and get it down yer! :lol:

Seriously, I don't think I could bring myself to do it. :-?

Just been back to it and the smell isn't really screaming at me "I'm going to be delicious!".

The best bet is to start a fresh I think. Shame.

Latest posts

Back