Disaster OMG!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Dyer

Reaction score
So there I am bottling my German Pilsener. 2 weeks fermatation in the cellar, 4 weeks in the fridge, tastes fantastic, probably one of the best brews I've done. A bit of prog (Tales From Topographic Oceans) on Spotify. Bottled 24 500ml swing-tops and there's about 200ml left in the bucket. I'l have another taster.... and .... YUCK!

What happened? I'll tell you and it's really rather sad.

Instead of mixing 60g of priming sugar in the bottom of my bottling bucket, I selected sanitiser instead. 2 white powders I know but entirely different packaging. I have no explanation except for a total lapse of concentration. I suppose I could blame Jon Anderson.

Anyway 12 litres of (once) lovely beer down the sink and start again on Thursday.

Bugger.

Anyway 12 litres of (once) lovely beer down the sink and start again on Thursday.
Oh wow. That's not quite as bad as leaving a tap open. You've lost the beer, but you haven't got a complete mess to clean up. Count your blessings I say.

On Thursday, avoid sanitising your kit with sugar solution.

Only trying to cheer you up. We've all done daft things.
Maybe not that daft, but who knows what we might do tomorrow!

😁😁 You don't need fancy colour coding systems if you got rid of useless powered sanitizer altogether... Have I mentioned truck wash before 😁😁

Best I have is avoid Side 3 of Tales from Topographic Oceans - worse than a bad beer.

Back