Huging my Pillow (well that got your attention)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornyandy

Reaction score
Well a couple of weeks or so ago I won one of the "Get Er Brewed" Single hop variety kits and chose and Amarillo.

I have reviewed this on their site but thought I would spread the news a bit.

The quality of the ingredients in the kit was second to none. There was a huge malty aroma from the Mash tun as I doughed in the malts. (so much different and nicer than my usual Maris Otter that I have asked what the base malt was and have now ordered some. It is the Irish Pale Ale malt on the Get Er Brewed Website for reference)

Brew day went as I would expect with no issues mashed and sparged the grain well and with such efficiency I was able to sparge a few litres more than I needed.

Onto the boil my only slight issue was that there were 6 hop tea bags of slightly varying weights and no indication of when to use which ones (I went heaviest first and lightest last)

Fermented with the supplied US-05 yeast and bottled yesterday.

The Beer (on a bottling day sup) is super and I can't wait to try some in a couple of weeks or so. It is a bigger darker beer than I expected more the colour of an English Bitter than an APA (which is what I expected) However the balance between hop and malt is spot on. Get Er Brewed have a superb product here. My only very slight comment is that I would not recommend this to a beginner, I have brewed on and occasionally of for 20 years and have plenty of experience to draw on so the slightly sketchy instructions on the website were not an issue. However I would suspect that the team there would give any help if you requested. It is difficult to give full instructions because there are so many different techniques these days.

The big question is would I buy this, I wouldn't but not because of the kit itself but because I tend to buy in bulk and decide on my recipe the day before brew day. I would though recommend it to anyone wanting to try a single hop kit or to try something a little different.

Cheers and Good Beers

Andrew

I'm going to try that Irish pale ale malt when my MO runs out I reckon. Heard good reports on it. I might also buy 3 stone of Amarillo too, I'm bunging it everything lately.

Yeah might try the Irish pale malt

I won a HBC mash kit on here when I was a newbie to AG.. I though they were execellent , having a recipe built for you is a good thing and being able to just pick a style and have a great build made for you takes away something to think about in buyin and measuring ect or even worrying about the composition..

Expereicenced AG I can understand although I have still occasionally considered a mash kit every now and then.

How do you think the tea bags went? I have seen them but not been too sure about them.

I can't really complain about the Tea Bags, the beer is well balanced and certainly the hops come through okay in the bottling day sippers, I wouldn't use them except as dry hops if I bought the Finishing hop sachets from Boyes because they tend only to be supplied in those small 12g packs. Other than that I can't see any issues.

Glad it seems to have gone well. I won the citra kit and plan on brewing it on Tuesday.

Latest posts

Back