Goliat by To Ol

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteplus1

Regular.
Reaction score
Not my next brew and maybe need to get a few more under my belt but I'm looking to go BIG soon and try produce something like this!

20160524_122407.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yep, big grain bill, high abv and IBU 'maggedon!
Only thing Im not sure about is 'aroma malt' . Any idea anybody?

Not my next brew and maybe need to get a few more under my belt but I'm looking to go BIG soon and try produce something like this!

20160524_122407.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Have a look on the grain substitution chart, apparently you can use Amber malt in place of certain Aroma types and Vienna instead of another. Maybe a combo of the two would go?

Just a thought, but does that yeast go that high in a single dose? You might need 2 for that gravity.

Have a look on the grain substitution chart, apparently you can use Amber malt in place of certain Aroma types and Vienna instead of another. Maybe a combo of the two would go?

Just a thought, but does that yeast go that high in a single dose? You might need 2 for that gravity.

Rather than pitch two vials You build a good healthy starter and get a nice growth

Although as its chico you could us05 it with perhaps two packets

Ah, you see all this liquid yeast stuff is still all Greek to me :wink:

So you make say a 2L starter, dump your liquid yeast in, shake and swirl it a lot it will aid growth and your yeast strain will grow substantially and when you pitch it and it will go off very healthy and live and kicking..

Now I will admit since I do not know whether or not it is advisable to have a higher gravity starter given the gravity of the wort.

much cheaper than spending two vials of yeast at 6.50 a pop..

I will edit my post according to BYO

http://byo.com/mead/item/1097-making-a-yeast-starter-techniques

a 4L starter is reccomended for a gravity this high!!!

Dingemans produces aroma malt.

Have you tried Goliat? It is very very sweet!

That Mikeller book is great but some of the info is a little sketchy... lost in translation i think.

At 150EBC and judging by the rest of the grainbill i'd hazard a guess that its dark Crystal (or Crystal 150).

Very interesting to see the base being pilsner though. I guess that strong with all those roasted/caramel malts you're actually going to have to take measures to thin the body out (got some sugar in there too) otherwise you'll end up with beer syrup.

Dingemans produces aroma malt.

Have you tried Goliat? It is very very sweet!

Havent laid my hands on one yet no . I thought it would be sweet. I've recently found a love for milk stouts and just done their (Mikkellers) milk stout clone. Can you compare it to any other?

That Mikeller book is great but some of the info is a little sketchy... lost in translation i think.

At 150EBC and judging by the rest of the grainbill i'd hazard a guess that its dark Crystal (or Crystal 150).

Very interesting to see the base being pilsner though. I guess that strong with all those roasted/caramel malts you're actually going to have to take measures to thin the body out (got some sugar in there too) otherwise you'll end up with beer syrup.

Both Mikkeller and To Ol get their beers brewed in Belgium, so likely use mainly Belgian malts.

The Belgian maltster, Dingemans produces what they call "aroma malt" (100EBCand 150EBC versions), so when the recipe says aroma malt I suspect it means aroma malt!

Havent laid my hands on one yet no . I thought it would be sweet. I've recently found a love for milk stouts and just done their (Mikkellers) milk stout clone. Can you compare it to any other?

It's along the lines of BrewDog's Cocoa Psycho I guess.

Where are you going to buy your grains from. Online.

A common practice for big beers is to brew a small beer with the yeast you need rack the smaller beer off and pitch the big beer wort on to it. Saves having to make a massive starter

Where are you going to buy your grains from. Online.

A common practice for big beers is to brew a small beer with the yeast you need rack the smaller beer off and pitch the big beer wort on to it. Saves having to make a massive starter

May build up to this biggie with a few more hefty ish brews first. My local supplier is well stocked for most requirements. When I haven't been able to get something, these guys have sorted me out and good postage rates too..
https://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/

I've had 10.37% abv for my ris-key business using one packet of re-hydrated MJ belgian ale yeast and not had any problems (although it does recommend 2 packs at that OG) - I did brew to 22 liters.

I've had 10.37% abv for my ris-key business using one packet of re-hydrated MJ belgian ale yeast and not had any problems (although it does recommend 2 packs at that OG) - I did brew to 22 liters.

I have to say, I'm really impressed with those MJ yeasts. Just bought another couple to keep in; a West Coast and a Workhorse.

Latest posts

Back