Percentage flaked rice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizurd

Reaction score
Hi

I'm putting together a pseudo lager recipe using 4kg of pilsner malt. In with that I intend on using 1kg of flaked rice.

Is this too much? What percentage of the grain bill should be used for flaked rice?

O the reason it's a pseudo lager is that I'm going to use mangrove jacks california yeast since I can only ferment at ale temperatures.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

Up to 10% according to brupaks grain guide

http://www.brupaks.com/BRUPAKS GRAIN GUIDE WEB.htm

That's quite interesting. I was trying to formulate 2 "American Lager" (well, pseudo lager for the same reasons as the OP) recipes last weekend and I'd read somewhere that they can be 25-40% maize but that page says to do a maximum of 10%. I'd also thought similar for rice.

I've amended both recipes based on what is on that page to bring the maize/rice adjuncts down to 10% and include 1% of acid malt in each. Still appear to be bang on for the style.

North American Scum (maize and Northern Brewer) is sitting at 4.5% ABV and Be My Yoko Ono (rice and Tettnanger)4.67%. I don't plan to brew them until November and Christmas though so I might end up changing it about again.

That's quite interesting. I was trying to formulate 2 "American Lager" (well, pseudo lager for the same reasons as the OP) recipes last weekend and I'd read somewhere that they can be 25-40% maize but that page says to do a maximum of 10%. I'd also thought similar for rice.

I've amended both recipes based on what is on that page to bring the maize/rice adjuncts down to 10% and include 1% of acid malt in each. Still appear to be bang on for the style.

North American Scum (maize and Northern Brewer) is sitting at 4.5% ABV and Be My Yoko Ono (rice and Tettnanger)4.67%. I don't plan to brew them until November and Christmas though so I might end up changing it about again.

It's worth checking and comparing the brewpaks chart maximum percentage values with other sources becuase for different grains, different MPV's can be quoted. I checked the flaked rice MPV from brewpaks against a similar chart on brewerslair and they tallied. There was a similar discussion on the maximum amount of vienna recently

Hey @MickDundee, how did you decide to use 1 percent of acid malt? I was going to use it as well to keep the pH correct but don't know how to figure out how much acid malt to add

(Edited your post so Mick will get a notification so he'll see this - MyQul)

Hey @MickDundee, how did you decide to use 1 percent of acid malt? I was going to use it as well to keep the pH correct but don't know how to figure out how much acid malt to add

(Edited your post so Mick will get a notification so he'll see this - MyQul)

In the Brewpak link it says "Acid malt is a very useful adjunct for producing high class Lagers. It contains lactic acid, which lowers the mash pH, giving a softer palate than if gypsum is used. The inclusion of a small percentage of this malt is recommended for all pale lagers.
Colour 3 EBC; Maximum Percentage 10%"

I chose 1% rather than a full 10% just to add a little bit (and also because I'd read it as 3% rather than 3EBC earlier), I don't want to add too much colour or flavour from it since American Lagers are quite neutral in flavour and I want the maize to show.

I might change my mind again before I brew it and take it out if I read something else.

Latest posts

Back