A Satirical Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm brewing this beer for my sisters wedding which is in a month or so's time. The beer is a hoppy golden ale. You could call it a session IPA if you were so inclined. The name is an anagram of the happy couple's names.

I'll send a bottle to the first person (UK based for postage) that can guess their names.

My first ever all grain beer was a clone of Wild Beer Co. Bibble. I liked that, so wanted to recreate something similar including the use of oats for a full mouth feel and Amarillo hops.

The brew day went well. This was the first time I have used entirely pellet hops. I have to say I'm a big fan. I've used them before but always in combination with leaf hops. I got at least an extra litre into the fermertor and I never sniff at an extra couple of pints of beer.

The Nottingham yeast (Wilko own brand) chewed through the wort in 4 days. After a couple more days I dry hopped and it's been sitting for the last week.

I'm bottling soon and hoping to transferring without tons of sediment. I'm not sure what wedding guests will think of a murky beer. I think the oats will probably leave a bit of haze but hopefully not too much.

The sample I took before dry hopping tasted great. Get your anagram answers in if you want to try a bottle.

FERMENTABLES:
3.5 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (90.9%)
0.2 kg - Flaked Oats (5.2%)
0.15 kg - United Kingdom - Crystal 45L (3.9%)

HOPS:
18 g - Admiral, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 14, Use: Boil for 70 min
20 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.8, Use: Boil for 10 min
20 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 10 min
25 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.8, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 65°C
25 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 65°C
55 g - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.8, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
55 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 65 C, Time: 90 min, Amount: 24 L
2) Sparge, Temp: 75 C, Time: 10 min, Amount: 8.5 L

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.008
ABV (alternate): 4.18%
IBU (tinseth): 44.05

Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 25 liters
Efficiency: 82% (brew house)

YEAST:
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Yeast
Attenuation : 78%

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Ca2: 150
Mg2: 6
Na: 25
Cl: 48
SO4: 230
HCO3: 0

@Badseed1974 for the win.

I'm hoping to bottle this weekend. PM me your address and I'll stick a bottle in the post.

Latest posts

Back