Why is this beer so bitter ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobukbrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello all, the beer in question is a 3.5% pale bitter, 22 litres. hops were citra and cascade added as shown below

15 mins 5 citra 2 cascade
10 mins 10 citra 5 cascade
5 mins 25 citra 10 cascade
2 mins 60 citra 20 cascade

adding 4.4, 6.7, 8.7 and 8.6 IBU (citra 12.4 AA and cascade 5.8)

after 2 weeks in bottle the beer is very bitter, with no discernible flavour or aroma.

thanks

That doesnt look like a traditional bitter hop schedule to me.

What did you do at the end of the boil?
When did you seperate the hops from the wort?
Could it be extra bittering introduced from no chill at end of boil & leaving hops in too long?

Did you leave the hops in while cooling?
Jof beat me to it I was typing as he posted

I let it cool with hops in for 2 hours, before cooling to 21 deg C over around 30 minutes

I use the term pale bitter a bit generically ofter pale malt only, no other grains

Thats where the bitterness has come from, leaving the hops in will still extract IBU's until it gets below 70C approx.
You need to remove the hops at flame out if you are going to cool it naturally or cool it very quick with a chiller if you leave the hops in but this will still extract some extra IBU's but not as much as a natural longer coo so allow for them in your recipe calculation.

thanks Baron - I have innovative ideas for my next brew so watch this space.....

Thats where the bitterness has come from, leaving the hops in will still extract IBU's until it gets below 70C approx.
You need to remove the hops at flame out if you are going to cool it naturally or cool it very quick with a chiller if you leave the hops in but this will still extract some extra IBU's but not as much as a natural longer coo so allow for them in your recipe calculation.
Exactly what the baron says. I learnt the hard way as you seem to be doing now. Mine was almost undrinkable it was that bitter.

Cheers Tom

I am thinking along the lines........2 gm for 10 mins, 5 gm for 2 mins, 10 gms at 90 deg c and 83 gm at 70 deg c for a hop that is around 10 % AA - I welcome any hop addition examples from readers / listeners.........

I am still with the original replies!
This isn't following any of the usual hopping norms and we do we really have all the info.

A smashing 3.5% pale as a guide is..
45 min boil.
@15mins add 30g
@30mins add 40g
@45 mins boil ends.
Reduce & maintain 85c with 50g for 30mins.
Then remove all hops and chill.

Yeah I certainly think and do 0min hop additions quick chill to 80ish (I do not fret ythis if its 70 or so) dump them in leave them and then chill again.

My no chill method is (hop quantities have a range depending on the style I'm making)

Bring wort to boil.
20-30g bittering hops.
Optional flavouring 0-30g at +30 minutes.
+60 end boil & add 20-40g aroma hops
Stir occasionally for 5-10 minutes.
If using hop bag, remove hops.
Vigorous stir for a manual whirlpool & the run out into FV while it's still hot. Then an overnight cool in the FV

Latest posts

Back