Newcomer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchie

Reaction score
Hello all, fairly new to this brewing lark - decided to give it another go after spending far too much on beer! Got a basic kit as a gift last Christmas and made a brew then, think it was a Wilkos IPA, which turned out ok.

This time round I have gone for a Youngs American IPA after doing a bit of reading on this forum, which I have now bottled. The sample tasted good so I am hoping for a nice beer when ready, although I am impatient and will probably crack one open in a week or two! Forgot to take a OG reading at the beginning but remembered to use the hydrometer to check fermentation was complete at least.

One thing that made life a bit easier this time around compared to my first brew was using the kids paddling pool to chuck all my bottles in for sterilizing! Any tips for speeding up the bottling process would be welcome.

I think for the next brew I will have to invest in one of those bottling wands, as using a tap and funnel wasn't much fun!:?

20160722_211925.jpg

20160722_211521.jpg

Bottling stick def worth it.. tapping into a funnel could cause the beer to splash in the bottle and get oxygen in which is not good and risks reducing the shelf life of the beer.

Get some no rinse sanitiser like star san and a bottle rinser.. it will save you loads of time.

Don't worry about only waiting a week to crack one open.. a lot of us do that just to see how it is progressing.. :oops:

Cheers for the advise Covrich, will look into that for next time. I was a bit concerned about the splashing but once I started there was no going back!

I was also slightly worried about fermenting just with the lid sat on top of the bucket, as there is no hole in the lid for an airlock/bung, but this was as per the original instructions with first kit. Think I will just drill a hole big enough for a rubber bung for next time.

Do you (or anyone else) have a link for a recommended bottle washer?

Hello all, fairly new to this brewing lark - decided to give it another go after spending far too much on beer! Got a basic kit as a gift last Christmas and made a brew then, think it was a Wilkos IPA, which turned out ok.

This time round I have gone for a Youngs American IPA after doing a bit of reading on this forum, which I have now bottled. The sample tasted good so I am hoping for a nice beer when ready, although I am impatient and will probably crack one open in a week or two! Forgot to take a OG reading at the beginning but remembered to use the hydrometer to check fermentation was complete at least.

One thing that made life a bit easier this time around compared to my first brew was using the kids paddling pool to chuck all my bottles in for sterilizing! Any tips for speeding up the bottling process would be welcome.

I think for the next brew I will have to invest in one of those bottling wands, as using a tap and funnel wasn't much fun!:?

welcome fellow brewer and keep us posted :) any questions or quieries and everyone will be sure to help and share theyre experiences with you :grin:

Well I couldn't even wait a week.. this is after about 4 days in the bottle, and although still a bit cloudy (obviously) it has carbed up nicely and tastes good! Fair to say I am pleased and looking forward to the next brew whatever that may be

20160726_180012.jpg

Hoppy beers are best drank young anyway, I once brewed a galaxy smash and it was at it's best after 7 days then went quickly downhill after that :-?

Hiya and welcome, without going to the expense of kegging then all bottling is slow, rinsing out your bottles after use will help. Bottling stick and some tubing will also help speed you up but bottle washing/sanitising is the slowest part.

Back