Turbo cider concentrate?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyonsie

Reaction score
Finally decided to make a tc. My original plan was to make a batch of 30 liters cider/wine at about 13% and siphon to secondary and add another 30 liters of apple juice to get the apple flavours and sweetness back in whilst bringing the abv back down to around 6.5 and using the secondary fermentation to carbonate the cider too.

The plan is to transfer to plastic bottles and cold crash when im happy with carbonation levels.

Anyway being new to this I vastly underestimated the amount of sugar I would need to get to the 13% mark and ran out. Has anyone tried this and will it work?

Here's my recipe first fermentation should hit about 9% I think.

30l apple juice
500g light brown sugar
1.5 kg of sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 mug strong tea
1 sachet of gervin gv13 cider yeast.

Pitched yeast today and sg was 1070.

........ My original plan ........

My reading of the original plan is that you seem to think that yeast will stop turning sugar into CO2 and alcohol when you want it to. It won't!

If you have a brew at let's say 9% and add more sugar it won't get any sweeter because the yeast will work away and the ABV will rise.

This will continue until the alcohol content of the brew gets so high that it kills the yeast.

I suggest that you check out this site as an example of when a yeast will give up ...

*****************************/catal.../beer/youngs-cider-yeast-sachet-5g-518-detail

... which is at an ABV of 15%.

An SG of 1.070 fermented down to 1.010 will give an ABV of 7.88%. It will be very dry and if you take the ABV any higher you will be looking at genuine "falling down juice".

However, you have two choices if you want a sweet cider: (Sorry - three choices - see below!)

1. Stop the fermentation before it is completed using a stabiliser like this ...
http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-wine-stabiliser-30g/invt/0022657

2. Allowing fermentation to finish and then sweeten the cider with a sweetener such as Splenda.

Enjoy! :thumb:

Very interested in 15 % killing yeast as I wanted to make a dry as feck concentrate and back sweeten and add back apple flavours whilst diluting anyway. I intend to ferment to 1000 which as mentioned would have been about 9%.
I've since added 2.5kg more sugar which I've read should put it at about 14% once its back down to 1000. Would this be correct? Lol I've abandoned it to pasteurisation to kill the yeast at this stage but if I could kill it by destroying it with alcohol all the better, the more apple will be able to go back in.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My reading of the original plan is that you seem to think that yeast will stop turning sugar into CO2 and alcohol when you want it to. It won't!

If you have a brew at let's say 9% and add more sugar it won't get any sweeter because the yeast will work away and the ABV will rise.

This will continue until the alcohol content of the brew gets so high that it kills the yeast.

I suggest that you check out this site as an example of when a yeast will give up ...

*****************************/catal.../beer/youngs-cider-yeast-sachet-5g-518-detail

... which is at an ABV of 15%.

An SG of 1.070 fermented down to 1.010 will give an ABV of 7.88%. It will be very dry and if you take the ABV any higher you will be looking at genuine "falling down juice".

However, you have two choices if you want a sweet cider: (Sorry - three choices - see below!)

1. Stop the fermentation before it is completed using a stabiliser like this ...
http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-wine-stabiliser-30g/invt/0022657

2. Allowing fermentation to finish and then sweeten the cider with a sweetener such as Splenda.

Enjoy! :thumb:

Very interested in 15 % killing yeast as I wanted to make a dry as feck concentrate and back sweeten and add back apple flavours whilst diluting anyway. I intend to ferment to 1000 which as mentioned would have been about 9%.
I've since added 2.5kg more sugar which I've read should put it at about 14% once its back down to 1000. Would this be correct? Lol I've abandoned it to pasteurisation to kill the yeast at this stage but if I could kill it by destroying it with alcohol all the better, the more apple will be able to go back in.

are you using a carboy or plastic fermenter ?

A 5 gallon plastic fermenter. It's actually the reason I tried making such a concentrated brew. I've not much equipment at the minute and only two of these.

As others have mentioned - you can't kill the yeast with alcohol, at least not alcohol generated by the yeast itself. It will just be rendered dormant until you dilute it with your fresh apple juice.
So you'll have to kill it by heating it in a boiler to pasteurisation temperatures or perhaps a bit higher.
Or by adding something like potassium sorbate which should kill the yeast effectively. It's the stuff they add to fresh juices to stop them going off and to things like ribena, so you can't use it for fermenting unlike juices that have been pasteurised to preserve them.

Cwrw666 has a point, when you dilute with the apple juice it will probably start fermenting again unless you use a couple of camdens and potassium sorbate to chemically stop fermenting.

Latest posts

Back