Some help understanding some numbers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hey, I brewed the Helles Bock Hammer, an all grain package from Geter Brewed http://www.geterbrewed.ie/the-helles-bock-hammer-all-grain-ingredient-kit/ but my OG is way lower.

My grain/water ratio is 1kg/3.1+2L. My mash tun has a large space under the false bottom and I use a HERMS so I add an extra 2 litres for that. When I sparge, I run the wort off very slowly and use as much water until I have my desired kettle volume. Been doing this for the past 10-15 batches and have been getting between 78-80% efficiency.

Their instructions state to use 18 litres of strike water, 10 litres of sparge, which doesn't seem enough at all. I have a 5 litre boil off so would need 28 litres in the kettle to achieve 23 litres in the FV.

Their estimated OG is 1.074, I got 1.065. They won't tell me what ratio of grains they use.

I'm wondering what's gone wrong here, whether the recipe is odd or if I've made a mistake somewhere.

Thanks.

I won a citra single hop grain kit from them and badly missed the OG too, but I've been blaming the fact my boiler blew up mid boil. The beer has turned out lovely though!

Ooh, sounds like one of those brew days which didn't go to plan...

Did you still manage to boil for 60 mins or close to?

Ooh, sounds like one of those brew days which didn't go to plan...

Did you still manage to boil for 60 mins or close to?

It shut off somewhere between the 30 and 45 minute hops I switched it off and on again but it kept shutting off every couple of minutes. Persevered like that until 1hr 5mins. It came out at 1.041 instead of 1.056.

Latest posts

Back