Preboil volume query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Reaction score
Still only on my 4th all grain brew, so still learning.
Previous brews have been a 19 litre kit from CML, supplied with excellent instructions.
Now I have bought a Malt Miller 23 Litre True to Style #10 English Porter. The basic instructions supplied do not give a Mash volume or Preboil volume.
The kit has a grain bill of 5.3 kg, so times that by 2.5 gives me a mash of 13.25 litres, all good so far.
Can I assume that 60mins of boiling will reduce the volume by 1 gal (4.54 litres) so there for the pre boil should be 23+4.54 = 27/28 litres?
Just looking for reassurance before I start the brew tomorrow. (Using a BIAB method with an overnight mash)

Cheers

Still only on my 4th all grain brew, so still learning.
Previous brews have been a 19 litre kit from CML, supplied with excellent instructions.
Now I have bought a Malt Miller 23 Litre True to Style #10 English Porter. The basic instructions supplied do not give a Mash volume or Preboil volume.
The kit has a grain bill of 5.3 kg, so times that by 2.5 gives me a mash of 13.25 litres, all good so far.
Can I assume that 60mins of boiling will reduce the volume by 1 gal (4.54 litres) so there for the pre boil should be 23+4.54 = 27/28 litres?
Just looking for reassurance before I start the brew tomorrow. (Using a BIAB method with an overnight mash)

Cheers
Grainfather calculator says mash 17.8 L, sparge 13.4 L, Preboil is 27 L, but of course that's for the Grainfather system, so will not necessarily be accurate for other systems.

If you have a mashing kettle which will take a big enough volume I would recommend mashing with as much water as possible. So, I would run the calc backwards and say: 23 litres target + 3 litres boil off (say) + 5.5 litres grain absorption - 6 litres sparging = 25.5 litres mashing water.

In my simple world I don't do much calculation and just mash with 25 litres every time (in my Braumeister).

good luck

If you have a mashing kettle which will take a big enough volume I would recommend mashing with as much water as possible. So, I would run the calc backwards and say: 23 litres target + 3 litres boil off (say) + 5.5 litres grain absorption - 6 litres sparging = 25.5 litres mashing water.

In my simple world I don't do much calculation and just mash with 25 litres every time (in my Braumeister).

good luck
Yup me too. Too simple 🤣
I do wonder if the BM makes you think on simple terms. A lot more uncomplicated that some "all in one" machines. And I really don't get hidden pumps or bonded elephants.

Latest posts

Back