Euan Ferguson: Craft Brew book errors

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GermLish

Reaction score
I had a look at the Craft Brew book from Ferguson. I was interessted in the Punk IPA recipe and compared it with the DIY Dog pdf and they differ.

For example the book says:
Mash in at 65° and rest for 15 mins
Raise to 72° and rest for 15 mins
Mash out at 78°

DIY Dog says:
65° for 75 mins

Also the hops amount and fermentation temp is totally different
book: Athanum 2g
DIY dog: 17.5g

I think of sending the book back as I think the other recipes are faulty too.

What do you think?

Hm, the book says the author collected the information directly from the breweries. So who lied, the author claiming the information is from the brewery or the brewery giving the wrong recipes.

So I'll keep it and taste test some of the recipes. Taste is more important than originality.

I've heard that book is full of absolute howlers. People on other forums have complained about it.

I thought the book was recipes from the breweries, very misleading if not. The fact it doesn't include either IBUs or hop AA for most recipes makes it pretty bloody useless tho.

It's a nice looking book though. Not sure what recipe to try first though.

I'm doing the black butte porter first and I'll probably try the bikini beer in a little while. For the black butte I've had to find the IBUs separately and then tweak the recipe based on the AAs of the hops I can get.

I had a look at the Craft Brew book from Ferguson. I was interessted in the Punk IPA recipe and compared it with the DIY Dog pdf and they differ.

For example the book says:
Mash in at 65° and rest for 15 mins
Raise to 72° and rest for 15 mins
Mash out at 78°

DIY Dog says:
65° for 75 mins

Also the hops amount and fermentation temp is totally different
book: Athanum 2g
DIY dog: 17.5g

I think of sending the book back as I think the other recipes are faulty too.

What do you think?

I'm not sure brewdog ever used as little as 2g of hops for any addition :-)

there are 2 version of punk ipa, I did the original and it was close enough to the original version to still be nicer than the current version.

I had now chance to taste the original Punk IPA, so I thought it would be a good idea to make it myself.

I didn't bought the book for the Punk though, as I already had the brewdog pdf.

Latest posts

Back