Crisp - session bitter (1st AG brew)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

Bought some new (2nd hand) kit. A large white twin element boiler an igloo mash tun and a diy wort chiller. Have made various kits over the last few years as well as making cider from apples most years.

Decided to try the "get er brewed" crisp - session bitter as in my packet mix kit experience, lower abv brews tended to be more forgiving.

Went ok, i got the initial water temp to 80c and then by time i had added the grain it came out at 65. When the 60 min mash had finished I was down to 64c.

The recipe said 13l of initial water but i ended up with 14. I thought i had added a further 16 during sparging, but ended up with 23 after sparge, so something went wrong, probably my brain with all the new/different steps to take! Was tricky with only one boiler and a jug for sparging slowly down sides of mash tun. The tun does have a mesh thingy in the bottom and only a few drips came out when cleaning so dont think it was stuck.

Boiled for an hour adding hops as recipe said, then cooled with chiller. Unfortunatly the boiler doesn't have a mesh attachment just copper pipe with holes and unfortunatly that did block, tried some spoon stiring persuasion, but my hand had to go in to sort it out.

Ended up with 19l ready for yeast, but decided a campden tab for 24hrs was a good idea, given my arm had gone in.

OG was 1038 with my hydrometer, although the recipe card mentions 37 SG, which i don't know what it means?

My other question is how do you calculate the amount of sparge water?

It says liquor/mash ratio 2.5:1 does that mean i need 67.5 litres of water minus initial mash of 13, means 54.5 litres of sparge? Seems like a lot.

My last question is yeast packet says 100ml of water at 30-35c for rehydration process, that seems high? Packet mixes have always said mid 20's. Don't want to kill the yeast, i don't supose using lower temp will matter too much, maybe longer fermenting?

Have attached the recipe card for anyone interested.

Hopefully will turn out ok.

Attachments

• Crisp-Session-Bitter (1).pdf
    280.9 KB · Views: 65
For 23l you definitely don't need 54l for a sparge!
My kit is similar..for the mash I use 2.6l/kg..it's usually about 12l. For the sparge I use 23l. You lose approx 1l/kg to the grain by absorption,you lose to boil off and you lose a "couple" of litres in the bottom of your kettle. A few goes and you'll know your kit so you can adjust to suit.

For 23l you definitely don't need 54l for a sparge!
My kit is similar..for the mash I use 2.6l/kg..it's usually about 12l. For the sparge I use 23l. You lose approx 1l/kg to the grain by absorption,you lose to boil off and you lose a "couple" of litres in the bottom of your kettle. A few goes and you'll know your kit so you can adjust to suit.

Ok cool, approx 1l per kg, that makes more sense. I was using my kettle's 10l mark as zero so i had some flow.

Free to use app, really does help with working things out.Plenty of youtube videos to help you understand the app, or just ask on the forum.
As clint said, i very much doubt you would need more than 12>15ltrs sparge water.
https://brewfather.app/

Had a fiddle with the app the other day, before I started , but i found there were a lot of settings to establish and it didn't have my recipie. I'm keen to use it once I've got a few brews under my belt and start experimenting with my own recipies

Strange the efficiency that is set for the kit seems rather high to me @ 80%, some well established brewers struggle to consistently attain this?

Latest posts

Back