Extract and lme recipe advice plz

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrissparky

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm going to make a beer with a mixture of a coopers Mexican can, some hopped extract and was going to do a boil with some challenger and cascade hops added at 60 min and 15 min and then dry hopped with the same hops. Can anyone give me advice on the volume of liquid to use in the boil. Do I need to boil all my wort or just a small amount with the hops, for this to work?

Just use a small amount of wort for the boil. Some say you can use none at all, I've tried this but I don't think the beer tasted as good. 4-6L of water will be fine.

Are you sure you want to do a 60min boil? Cerveza is already bittered so by doing a 60min boil you'll be adding even more bitterness. Whenever I've done boils to supplement Coopers kits' I've only done 10-20mins for flavour.

Hi
I was going to do the boil to add a bit more bitterness, I was hoping to use this kit to make a very pale very hoppy sort of IPA hybrid. I've got it already and was so going to use it up. I was going to give it a bit more bitterness and loads of late hops about 15 mins and then dry hop too. I am going to try try partial mash brewing instead of kits after this kit.

As others have said your Cerveza kit already has bitterness, and if you use hopped extract too that will be the same.
Coopers kits used to say how many IBUs were in the can but they don't do this any more but Googling "coopers kits IBU" came up with a number of values for a 23 litre Cerveza brew (not the can) of around 20, although I recommend you do your own research on this.
I suggest you use a calculator like this to calculate the additional IBUs you want for your beer http://www.brewersfriend.com/ibu-calculator/ and go from there. Your problem will be knowing what the hopped extract IBU value is.
You are also unlikely to know what hops are in the hopped extract so have no idea what they will add, and will be losing volatile oils from the kit and hopped extract when you boil.
Personally I would not bother boiling kit cans. I would either do a dry hop possibly with a hop tea, or go for an extract brew with unhopped extract because you will then have a good idea of what you will have as your finished product.

I brewed this last night, it was to use up the ingredients, let's see how it turns out. I'm going to dry hop with some challenger and cascade hops

Latest posts

Back