Gruit recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 15122

Reaction score
Has anybody got any gruit recipes for me to try. Preferably using ingredients that I can buy from eBay.

I always thought the sedative effect of beer was the alcohol, but after my second pint of mugwort porter I think the hops play a large part.

By the way it's very difficult to write the word gruit without being corrected! I think I may have stumbled upon a conspiracy.:-?

I had to check this thread as I haven't a clue what gruit is!

I think that could be your problem :)

Enlighten us please :)

Before hops people used herbs to flavour and preserve their beer, herbal beer. Hops can have a sedating effect, whereas herbal beer can have the opposite effect. Herbal beers were banned by the protestants, which to my mind sounds like herbal beers(gruit) are too much fun!
Feel free to correct me on any of this, I've only recently discovered it.

I've just ordered "sacred and herbal healing beers". The write up sounds interesting.

Looks like I'm on my own with this branch of home brewing, but for those of you who may be interested.

My mugwort porter, is the first unhopped beer I've ever brewed or drunk.
It is a basic all grain porter recipe brewed in my new grainfather (which makes the brew day much more fun than farting about with tea urns and grain bags!), but the hops are substituted with 70g of dried mugwort (bought of eBay) at the start of the boil.
The result is more mellow than a porter, more like Harveys old ale. The biggest difference is that you don't become drowsy, you become more alert, the effects only last for an hour or two, but very enjoyable.

Back