Geordie larger help?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob201000

Reaction score
Hi im new to brewing i bought my kit 2 days ago.. Im trying to brew geordie larger but having a issue i think? I cleaned and sterilsed my bucket, lid and stiring spoon and then added 4 pints of boiling water.. added the thick gloop from the can and 1kg sugar then added 36 pints of cold water gave it a good stir and added the yeast. I did that 26 hrs ago but nothing seems to be happening? No bubbles or anything... just wondering if anyone could help iv had a lurk around the forums but cant see anything.. thankyou in advance

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Hi im new to brewing i bought my kit 2 days ago.. Im trying to brew geordie larger but having a issue i think? I cleaned and sterilsed my bucket, lid and stiring spoon and then added 4 pints of boiling water.. added the thick gloop from the can and 1kg sugar then added 36 pints of cold water gave it a good stir and added the yeast. I did that 26 hrs ago but nothing seems to be happening? No bubbles or anything... just wondering if anyone could help iv had a lurk around the forums but cant see anything.. thankyou in advance

When you say there are no bubbles, do you mean pushing through an airlock?, if so i have never had an airlock bubble!. Is there a Krausen(Scum) on the top?

Oh i expected it bubbling and fizzing away lol. The top is clear amber liquid no froth or anything

what did you use to sanitise? if bleach/chlorine based did you rinse off well ? any trace can taint the brew and even possibly kill some of the yeast.

what temperature is it sat at, a stable temp towards the lower end of the scale suggested by the kits instructions generally is best. this depends on the yeast supplied so can differ from kit to kit.

the activity may be slow at first and may continue slowly with little sign of activity, the only real test you can rely on is to take an an initial gravity reading before/at pitching, and then leave well alone for a week or two before taking a 2nd gravity sample, Always drink the sample to judge taste sweetness and flavour NEVER return it, and draw clean samples using a cheap turkey baster you can clean and sanitise easily cracking the lid and drawing up from the side.

2 skills/traits you need for brewing are an almost ocd approach to cleaning / sanitation with an awareness of the microlife floating about in the air, And Patience, the latter being the hardest ;)

No rinse sanitisers are a great time saver and are used in such small volume that a standard bottle costing £10-£15 will last years n years in a busy home brewery..

cleaning and sanitation are best viewed and approached separately imho, and the best VFM cleaner imho is generic unscented laundry oxi to soak clean, and after well rinsed a no rinse sanitiser such as starsan can be used to quickly prep your clean equipment for use..
you only need to prep 1 batch of 40 odd bottles rinsing each one out 3 x to realise the benefit of a no rinse sanitiser ;)

if you dont have em get a hydrometer thermometer and trial jar (wilko's and all home brewshops will stock em) and a turkey baster ;)

I know im suggesting spending the cost of a quality kit on extra bits and supplies but they will put you in good standing for many many more future brews.

What was the temperature of your lager wort when you added the yeast? Was it in the range as indicated in the instructions? Too hot and it may have killed the yeast.
Are you keeping your FV in a place that is at a temperature as indicated in your instructions. If it is too cold the yeast will struggle to get going.
How old is the kit? Hopefully it was well within date. If not the yeast may be suspect.
I would leave it alone for at least another 24 hours before concluding that the yeast is not working. And in that time I would not remove the lid from the FV. Your brew is currently at its most susceptible for infections, and each time you open it up you are vulnerable.
Early signs that the yeast is working is a ring of small bubbles, which is normally followed by a krausen or yeasty foam which can be anything from 10mm to 100mm plus thick according to circumstances.

I used starsan to sterilise erm the kit had no temp instructions it was 22c when the yeast was added and still sat at 22 now so the temp is stable. The kit was new the day i put it in so well in date.. i do have a hydrometer but havent done and sampling yet.. altho since posting i have noticed white bubbles have formed on top of the brew... i havent opened the lid just looked down the air lock

I would say the signs are good :thumb:.
If you think it is going now, leave it alone. That's, leave it alone. Preferably for 12-14 days, or until its finished if longer, which is determined by using your hydrometer to confirm consistent readings over two or more consecutive days.
If you are desperate to see signs of a krausen forming within the next 24 hours and have a semi-translucent FV like the Youngs FV, shine a lamp (from outside of course) at the interface between liquid and headspace and you may be rewarded.
And if you need any more tips suggest you try this
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=57526

What I do when I add hot water and the malt is give it a good swirl around, enough that I can see the bottom of the bucket and see if there's still malt stuck to the bottom (doing this before adding cold water makes it easier to get the malt runny and mix with the water). Get it all mixed up, then add the sugar and give it another swirl, then add a few litres of cold water and give it a good stir with my paddle and get a load of air into it.

I figured if all the sugar is stuck to the bottom and not mixed in with the water it would be much harder for the yeast to find sugar. Probably overkill but I'm happy with the results.

Just a quick update i have realised why my airlock wasnt bubbling lmao it was because i didnt fill it with water hahaha we live and learn... bubbling away nicely now thanks for the help .

Latest posts

Back